Trip Report Trip Report - Dive Bus Curacao Aug 14-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently got back from a vacation that was 90% diving and 10% destination wedding :D and wanted to share my experience diving with Dive Bus Curacao.

I signed up with Dive Bus because of two things:
1. Wedding party (90 people!) was booked up at Sunscape Resort just down the street and I could not beat their price.
2. I am new to this style of shore diving and did not have a vehicle of my own to explore the island.

Dive Bus has been great with setting up my reservations in advance. Response time was great (thank you Doris!) and they are VERY involved in social media (post dive videos/photos later in the day/next day after diving). For initially lugging gear over, they offered to pick us up from our resort free of charge which was very much appreciated, given the downpour that morning!

Check out dives with Dario were done at the "house reef" Car Pile. Beach entry was just across the street, and the dive site was super easy to navigate. At the end of the dive, we emptied our tanks to around 500 psi and did a weight check. I learned that I was over-weighted by 4 lbs!

The following days, we boarded the Dive Bus to go on excursions with our awesome dive guide Kelly to Tugboat/Pier, Playa Piskado, and Director's Bay. After between dives, we had some fruit during our surface interval, and a picnic lunch at the end of the second dive. Being night dive fanatics, we also booked a night dive on the house reef (Dive Bus only hosts 1 night dive a week) and saw plenty of octopus!

Overall we were extremely happy with the experience. Dive Bus stresses good buoyancy control and avoiding chasing/handling wildlife, unlike some other operators we have used in the past that "herd" or agitate wildlife for the customers. On our dives at Director's Bay, there were excessive amounts of fishing line draped over the reef. We all took time out of our dives to step in with our shears/line cutters to clean up the reef. It felt good to have a positive effect on the reef.

Things I learned:
- The reefs are a quick couple fin kicks away from the shore. I bought a snorkel for this trip and ended up not using it at all except to go snorkeling on my off-gas day on the resort!
- These shore dives are very easy to navigate, and could probably be done without a guide for "first timers"
- It would be a good idea to have a BCD pocket/mesh bag to collect garbage/fishing line on reefs
- For multiple night dives, it would be a good idea to find another operator that will let you dive more than once a week.
- It is hard to find good beer on Curacao!

I am going to use this experience to help plan a trip to Bonaire in the future.

- The reefs are a quick couple fin kicks away from the shore. I bought a snorkel for this trip and ended up not using it at all except to go snorkeling on my off-gas day on the resort!

Enjoyed your report. The Dive Bus is often spoken highly of, but only occasionally do I see a review of them (generally good, though).

This quoted comment caught my eye. Reading other threads on Curacao, I've gotten the impression that whereas Bonaire has closer-in shore-accessible reefs but iron shore entry/exit, Curacao has longer swim-outs but with the benefit of easier, sandy entry/exit. Plus you've got sandy beach available for 'beachgoers' at some sites.

Is my impression in error, just not relevant to the sites the OP hit, or what?

Richard.

This quoted comment caught my eye. Reading other threads on Curacao, I've gotten the impression that whereas Bonaire has closer-in shore-accessible reefs but iron shore entry/exit, Curacao has longer swim-outs but with the benefit of easier, sandy entry/exit. Plus you've got sandy beach available for 'beachgoers' at some sites.

Richard.

All of the dive sites that my wife and I visited on this trip, to a lesser extent Director's Bay, were sandy beach entries with an easy entry. We only hit a fraction of the available dive sites so this might not be the case everywhere.

The beaches range from remote/primitive to easy access/lots of amenities. As far as swim-outs, I've done the bulk of my Curacao shore diving Westpunt to Cas Abou (there's much more, just my fav :)). I don't find the swim-outs in general longer than the southern Bonaire sites (as a comparison) and some are shorter. There are exceptions but that's my general impression. The sites are not laid out as conveniently as Bonaire, so if you want to "dive, dive, dive," I would put a little more emphasis on the quality of the house (or nearby) reef. IMHO, YMMV.

I've done the bulk of my Curacao shore diving Westpunt to Cas Abou
Heading back to Westpunt in Jan. Most of our diving was at the house reef at Allwest and at Gowest. Did one boat dive which was great. Headed down to try shore diving at other sites but at Playa Jeremi we were turned away as it was full or closing, not really sure which and ended up at Playa Lagun. We only made it out along the walls along the shore and not the reef. Will try again. How did you like diving at Cas Abou and how long does it take to drive their from Westpunt? Any other dive recommendations along that stretch?

We had a destination wedding on Curacao, and my bride-to-be and I sneaked in a little diving--not with Dive Bus, though we saw them. Curacao was okay, but we escaped on our honeymoon over to Bonaire. Glad you got to dive, though.

How did you like diving at Cas Abou and how long does it take to drive their from Westpunt? Any other dive recommendations along that stretch?

Cas Abou diving was fine. I would say 30 min. +- from Allwest. Nice beach. Friendly dive shop. We had our own tanks (just happened to have a couple in the trunk), but they let us use their rinse tanks anyway.

Let's see other sites along the way...

Try the San Juan sites (Playa Shon Mosa, Playa Manzaliña, Playa Largu, Playa Chiki). They are down a long rough road with turn offs to each site. I traversed it very carefully in a rental car. No facilities, take a days worth of tanks, pack a lunch (you won't want to drive over the road any more than you have to), and bring a few guilders for the gentleman in the chair in front of the landhuis. What you'll get for your trouble are beautiful little coves with small, isolated beaches. If you go during the week, you'll have at least one of them all to yourself. Short kick out over the sand to very nice diving.

Most of our diving was at the house reef at Allwest and at Gowest.

Assume you made it over to Playa Grandi for the turtlpalooza (diving with tons o' turtles) as it's pretty close to Allwest (is it the house reef?). Also probably did Watamula from the boat. Beautiful dive and close to GoWest so it's easy to get them to go there.

We stay in a condo at Marazul. Great house reef. No beach entry. It's got two cliff entries (one each end of the complex 300+ yards apart so almost two different dive sites) down steps with good railings and dive platforms with ladders. We dive the c**p out of it including night dives. :)

BTW, did you have dinner at Trio Penotti? The coconut fish and African peanut soup were amazing. Man, I can almost taste it. Do you have extra room in a bag? I promise I'm very unobtrusive...:bounce::bounce::bounce: Have fun. :)

Curacao was okay, but we escaped on our honeymoon over to Bonaire.

Yeah, shore diving doesn't get any easier than Bonaire especially for lots of diving. Curacao is a bit more work, but we've found the right location for us and it's kind of stolen my heart. That said we're off to Bonaire in about a month. Did I mention I can be a bit fickle...:dork2:

Last edited:
Yes, playa grandi is the "house reef" at Allwest and dove it 2+ times a day. The "house reef" at Gowest, Kura hurlanda, is alice in wonderland a/k/a playa kalki which was excellent. Our boat dove was just the six of us on a special request 1 tank PM to Watamula. It was fantastic. Thanks for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom