Trip report: diving "Dibba north"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This weekend we went on a Dhow trip with Mohammed and Berna (former 7 seas). The dhow sailed from "Dibba North" - meaning you have to enter Oman, but you do not need a visa (it's free to cross), only thing is, that the tour operator needs a copy of passport and UAE visa for the UAE customs to issue a travel permit (it's best to do this 3-5 days prior to traveling.

Arriving at the border the guy with our permits were waiting for us, and it took about 10 min to cross the border - only 2 cars in front of us, no need to get out of the car, just show passports and papers. We continued to the harbor and found the boat - had to cross 6-7 boats hauling along all our equipment, but boat boys were there to help.

Shortly before 9 pm we sailed towards a bay, where we spend the night, and early next morning the dhow continued the sail, while breakfast was served.
Around 7.30 am we reached Lima and anchored up. Geared up and went in the speed boat to Lima Rock (north) - great dive! Viz was good 10-15 m, lots of fish, nudies, rays, morays and colorful corals. Water temperature 23 C.

Dive 2 of the day was "Gilly Island" - very pretty and healthy corals, different kinds of morays, nudies, big school of barracudas and still good viz. Unfortunately I somehow managed to loose my "extra" dive computer:-( Didn't notice until we were in the boat again.

Had lunch and a nap before 3rd dive.

Everyone agreed to go back to "Gilly" for the 3rd dive, to see if we could find the dive computer - sadly no luck. But this time the current was quite strong, so we did see a big barracuda, and more "fish action". I also found 2 very beautiful nudies I have never seen before - big and bright orange - will see, if I can post pictures later. Even with the current, we still had a good viz.

4th dive was a night dive on "Lima Wall", we jumped in just before sunset and had a blast! Pipefish, big turtle, very big trumpet fishes, lion fish hunting, boxer shrimps, big honey comb moray out hunting and lots of fish. Assenting from the dive and swimming back to the boat with the new moon and endless number of stars was great.

Dinner under the stars, was lovely.

Saturday the forecast said it would be windy later in the day, so we started 6.30 am in the speed boat towards "Octopus rock", while the dhow moved towards Dibba.

The early morning dive on Octopus was sooo nice - viz of 15-20 m, lots of nice corals, fish and nudies just very relaxing. Last time we dived here, we found 3 sea horses, but did not find any this time.

After the dive, it was a quite cold sail to catch up with the dhow, we had breakfast while the dhow anchored up in the bay close to "The Cave".

Last dive was "The Cave" - super dive site - found a ray inside the cave, lots of fish and a turtle outside, great viz again.

Back to dhow for lunch and trip back to Dibba port, where we arrived around 1.30 pm.

All in all a fantastic trip - we paid 1000 aed pr diver and 800 for snorkelers + a bit extra to do 1 extra dive (normal is 5 dives during the trip) - great value for money, and I can't wait to go back.

Anyone planning a trip - please let me know!! And if you're looking for great diving from UAE, I would say the easiest is going to Dibba north.

I'm glad you enjoyed your dhow trip. Diving in the Musandam is where I'm at my happiest. The sites around Lima (Lima Rock, Lima bays, Octopus, Wonderwall Ras Marovi etc are considered the gateway to the Musandam. There is so much more further north. That said Whale Sharks are frequent visitors to Lima and Octopus, and Mola Mola's sometimes seen on Wonderwall and Lima rock too. The Sea ward point of Lima Rock can be spectacular with some current running on the ebb - with good vis and plenty of large hunting fish

AL Marsa run sharing dhows - although I've never been on one, I'm led to believe they've got the most luxurious dhow, and cater for most levels. I believe they charge 1800AED. They do sometimes go as far a Sheesa bay but their choice of sites have to be dictated by the all round experience of the divers onboard

Sheesa Beach are another operator who run sharing dhows, they tend to cater to more experience divers than Al Marsa (but not always as they need to fill the dhow trips) However generally they'll go to the Northerns sites of Musandam Island and White Rock area

I get my monthly Musandam "fix" by chartering a dhow with a group of friends from one of the operators. We're considered to have enough experience and knowledge of the area that we don't take guides. Because we run at cost it works out at 1200 AED plus gas. most of us have our own cylinders, although some rent Ali 80's from the operator.

Depending on the weather we will go as far north as the Quions, we book or dhows a year in advance to fit in with the tides, with one month always chosen to try to get onto Ennerdale, the jewel of the Musandam but difficult to get on to - and not for the inexperienced because of the currents and depths. We know all of the sites and because everyone is comfortable in currents, we can get to whichever we chose on the day.

The dhow motors right up to Sheesa bay on the Thursday night (2hrs past Lima) - getting there about 1am. We only generally make 3 dives on the Friday, and then 2 on the Sat. Most of us aren't interested in a Night dive, although we anchor where it's possible for those who do. In the Summer we sometime have a dawn dive on the Sat and 2 others, more often than not we make Sat a 2 tank dive so we can get back and cross the border before the rush. It all depends how everyone is feeling. But most are happy with 5 dives as they're all 60min dives.

Over the last 4 months we've seen 3 whale Sharks and 3 Mola Mola on different sites, so it's been quite good and we've been quite lucky. The December Dhow we organised a full Christmas roast on the friday night - we do things in style :)

3 whale sharks and 3 mola mola?! Ohhh I wish!!!!
We've seen Mola Mola at Lima Rock:) In June we're booked to dive from Khasab - have only been once before, but that was a great trip!

We've done some "ramadan" trips with Al Marsa, and yes, the boats are a bit more luxurious - but the fish don't care where you sleep:-D

Let me know, if you have any spare spots for upcoming trips;-)

Thanks for posting the trip report. It reminds me of my last trip with @Diving Dubai group to Musandam as I posted here: Diving Trip Report in Musandam, Oman, on May 18-19, 2018

Some members of my dive group (3 divers and 2 non-divers) plan to spend a week (7 nights & 6 full days) in UAE before heading to Indonesia. We will be there from the 1st to 8th of September, but we shouldn’t count the 1st due to late arrival (19:35) in Dubai & the 8th due to early departure (1:50) out of Dubai. I have not been diving in the North Dibba area, so I’d like to do that this time. Please let me know if anyone would like to join us on this trip.

We’ll be diving in Fujairah & UAE part of Dibba too. So I’m looking forward to see some old friends like @RainPilot or @ScubaWithTurk of Freestyle Divers - Scuba Diving & Diving Courses - UAE & Musandam if timing looks good to you.

Just an FYI, Freestyle Divers now has a center in Khasab.

I would love to see you and dive with you again @Dan_T

We did this same trip last spring and had a great time. The people we met on the boat were perhaps even more enjoyable than the diving which was the best we did. I wouldn't visit UAE again without including at least one trip up to Lima or Musandam.

How long of a drive is from Royal Beach Resort in Dibba, UAE to Khasab, Oman?

Probably an hour to the border and another hour to Khasab Dan.

The border crossing was a bit of hit and miss in the past, timing is important, could take at least 30 mins.

Reactions: Dan
Probably an hour to the border and another hour to Khasab Dan.

The border crossing was a bit of hit and miss in the past, timing is important, could take at least 30 mins.

Thanks for the info. I'm scheduling my itinerary and wondering whether the visit & diving there can be done in one day while staying in UAE part of Dibba or should we do it in 2 days, staying overnight in Khasab after the afternoon dive and driving back to Dibba or Dubai on the next morning.

Best to stay overnight in Khasab, otherwise you'll be driving more than diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom