Trip Report DWM/Wyndham

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Oct 23- Nov 1 2009... It's a little late.

We spent 6 excellent days with Dive with Martin. 5 of those days David was the dive master, we have nothing but praise for his skills and knowledge of the reefs. We dove 1 day with Miguel, although the diving was good, his lack of enthusiasm made a lack luster dive. Maybe just a bad day for him... And we will be diving with them on the next trip for sure!

We only had 1 day with 8 divers on the boat and that day 2 divers were finishing up their Advanced and we paired off with their instructor. Most days were 4-6 divers. Since all of us were advanced divers we dove the Puna Sur reefs most of the time, and the sites on the southern end, Chun Chakab & Macaibo were scheduled but due to the rough condition that week we didn't make it. Everyone dove to 500psi, if you hit it first you surface and the rest stayed down untill they reched 500psi. Most of the shallow dives we were getting about 60 minutes of dive time.

We managed to see 2 lion fish (4"-6"), David made an attempt to capture one but it darted back into the coral, the second my wife found and by the time David arrived it had darted back to the recesses of the coral, serveal attemps were made to try to get at it, but he couldn't. A few nurse sharks, Moray Eel, a bunch of turtles and the usual marine life.

We stayed at the Sabor side of the Wyndham, there were only about 15 rooms occupied during our stay. Rooms and service were superb! The resort was like a ghost town it seems, most of the ocean front rooms being remolded and allot of work being done. The sewer smell was almost gone my mid stay, they fixed the sewer pipe by the photo booth outside the main lobby. The only real downer on the trip was the taxi ride back to the airport. The bellman showed the driver our voucher for the return trip from Greyline, and he said that they accepted it, after arriving at the airport the story changed and wanted $30 for the ride. After going back and forth for a few minutes I broke down and paid. Orbitz was called the next day and our return trip portion was refunded along with the $30 we spent. Orbitz also issued a voucher for a free r/t transportation on the next trip.

It did seem that some of the guest there had a run of bad luck... 1 couple rented a scooter and laid it down, the next morning had a bad case of road rash and bought themselves a scooter thinking insurance was not needed. Another woman face plated on the pool deck and spent the night in the hospital with 2 broken ribs, another one found an open manhole after wandering home one night from the bar.

The "pier fee" from Sand Dollar is another pain in the butt. If you thought the time share people are bad, Sand Dollar's people will make them look like children. These people were constantly harassing everyone not diving with them. It went from saying the (insert dive shop) was dangerous, didn't have a good boat, diver masters we not trained right, etc. They were on your tail wanting their $3 every day, even if you paid for multiple days. It's been mentioned here that Sand Dollar built and owns both the wooden and concrete piers at the Wyndham, but a sign at the wooden pier states that they are only the concessioner for the pier and Wyndham. I know there were numerous complaints to the Manager of the Wyndham about the actions, ourselves included. I did receive a letter this week from Wyndham Corporate stating that they are aware of this issue and will be correcting it soon.

Will post pictures soon.

We did the same arrangement last summer but instead of using the pier at the Wyndham we either drove to the marina or walked to the pier down the beach at the San Francisco. There were four if us so it was 12.00 a day for 5 days or 60.00 Sand Dollar wanted for the use of their pier. Is their pier and their choice to bill for it but also our choice not to use it or any of their other services.

We did the same arrangement last summer but instead of using the pier at the Wyndham we either drove to the marina or walked to the pier down the beach at the San Francisco. There were four if us so it was 12.00 a day for 5 days or 60.00 Sand Dollar wanted for the use of their pier. Is their pier and their choice to bill for it but also our choice not to use it or any of their other services.

The letter from corporate stated that Sand Dollar (along with the sign) on the wooden pier is NOT owned by Sand Dollar. They do own the concrete pier.

If I had to do it over again, I would pay for a few days, as the paper they give you gets wet and they just look for their logo on it, they had no clue how many days you actually paid for or when you paid.

We counted 26 & 22 divers one day on the Sand Dollar cattle boats, no thanks...

As posted here and on other threads this pier fee is wearing very thin. Does the Sabor Whyndam not realize that this practice may be actually resulting in them losing business? It is not the money but the bit of constant irritation that you would rather avoid like the timeshare people while you are on vacation. I think that it would be in their best interest if they dealt with this soon as along with other comments about the resort that have turned future customers away from booking this resort.

The resort was fine especially for what we paid for the week. We knew about the pier in advance so was never an issue for us. We drove the first day to the marina with our gear and after that set up with the DWM guys to pick us up. The last day we drove back their office to pick up our gear.

Every day we walked past the SD guys toting our dive computers and other stuff we didn't want to leave. It did not matter to them as there was no way we would dive with them anyhow.

Wyndham might care but they certainly had other more pressing issues which needed addressed than 3.00 for the pier. Don't get me wrong, for the price it would have been tough to beat but it isn't exactly what they represent it to be.

I stay at the Wyndham and have dove with Sand Dollar a million times. I'll spare the personal experiances with Wyndham, but Sand Dollar is fine in my opinion. I mean the Pier issue, all I can say is if they own it can't blame them, but if they don't then I agree the Resort needs to do something. As for the actual Dive Op, I've been there when they've been really busy and never really saw them Packing the boats, and not cause they weren't busy. They're also the kind of place that if they get a reading off you, that you're not a "Rube-Diver" and know what you're doing, they'll take care of you. Me (DM candidate) and my dad (DM, doing his IDC) have never been on a boat with more then 4 other people. When my g/f gets her open water and we goto Coz, I'd be comfortable going out with them, and cause they know me I know they'd help make her first Coz experience a Good one.

I'm not gonna stand here and act like they're then end all be all or crap on other Dive Ops. All I'm saying is I've had nothing but positive experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom