Trip report Maui and Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all. Been back about two weeks and still trying to catch up at work. Thanks to everyone's recommendations to help make a very memorable trip.

My family and I started our vacation in Maui. I picked Lahaina Divers since many others recommended them and we were staying near Ka'anapali. The other family with us are not morning people and it would have been more problematic trying to get to Kihei for early arrival since it takes extra 20-30 minutes from where we where staying. Lahaina Divers really took good care of us and I would dive with them again.

The first dive was to Molokini crater. I hadn't been there since I certifed and it was amazing. Much better than the snorkel trip I did before. We were paired with a DM who was doubling as a group photographer. He took a bunch of underwater pic's of us (for a fee of course). My friend had a brand new camera she bought just for the trip but wouldn't you know it she forgot it back at the hotel, but we still got photo's of the day.

Next dive was a 2-tank night dive. First dive of the evening was at the Cartheginian boat. It was at 90 feet and my 14 yo daughter had to sit out due to the depth. Personally, given the depth I didn't think it was appropriate for basic OW divers but that's their traditional dive in the evening. Any irritation I had was mitigated by the discount they gave me for my daughter. Since she didn't do the first dive they gave me 30% off her charge.

The night dive was at the Mala Pier and was amazing! We dropped down and first sight was a sleeping parrot fish in his cocoon. Lots other nocturnal fish, a sleeping turtle, eels, and two small octopuses. My daughter's log entry was "BEST DIVE EVER WITH DADDY." Pretty cool.

We were staying at the Westin Villas just north of Ka'anapali beach. I had never done a shore dive there, and they have a PADI dive center at the resort. We both did a shore dive there as well. She didn't like walking to the beach with all the gear. Surf was nonexistent and the dive was enjoyable. The best part was my other two kids and wife were able to see us walking down to the beach.

We then headed to Kona for the next part of our vacation. We dove with Kona Dive company and they also were excellent. And don't forget about their brownies! We checked in early and they our gear except for mask and fins. When we got to the boat they had all the gear set up for us already and the wetsuits neatly folded in front of our tanks.

First Kona dive was the manta ray night dive. If we thought the other night dive was spectacular we were floored by the manta rays. We can see why it is rated as the best night dive. Nothing quite compares to a large manta ray swimming inches over the top of your head. Few days later we did a morning dive. Kona dive company kept our gear from the previous trip and again set everything out for us as we arrived in the morning. As the boat headed out in the morining someone spotted a tiger shark in the marina. The first dive spot was just outside the marina, and about 10 minutes into the dive we spotted the tiger shark swimming along the reef. I guess I should have been a little nervous but instead enjoyed the encounter. I wanted it to get a little closer actually to see it's strips but it quietly swam away instead.

One quick memorable lunch was at the Kiawe Kitchen in Volcano City just outside Volcanoes National park. Food was delicious, and my kids said the pizza was one of the best they've had!

Thanks to all for your recommendations and helping make the trip a memorable one.

I'm jealous!!! I saw the tiger (they apparently call her Laverne, and think she might be preggers) swimming on the surface while setting up my tank on the aggressor the last morning, just outside the harbor. Apparently the fisherman dump their carcasses at the green buoy. Spent the dive with my head on a swivel, really wanted to see her UW but it was not to be :(

Back
Top Bottom