Trip report - Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it true that Flamingo Resort does not allow children? I am trying to book a trip for July or August for three weeks of diving and safari in South Africa and Mozambique. I definitely would like to find some safe resorts and very well run dive operations as my newly certified 12 year old daughter will be diving with my wife and I. I need some great tropical diving for my 12 year old and some more advanced diving for me.

Hi MPauline - Flamingo Bay is probably one of the most beautiful resorts in Mozambique, the resort is built on stilts in the water, they do allow children over 12years old, they operate on a DBB basis. You can snorkel and swim here. However, it is part of Barra Resorts, and they have a free shuttle between Flamingo Bay and Barra Dive Centre which is approx 5 km. Low season is after the 20 July.
WATER CHALETS - DINNER BED AND BREAKFAST RATE
Double and twin bedded rooms with en-suite shower and toilet, mosquito nets & air-conditioner
WATER CHALET P/P/SHARING ZAR 1,350.00.

Barra Lodge Resort is right by the diving. They have Casitas
CASITAS - DINNER BED AND BREAKFAST RATE
Double and twin bedded rooms with en-suite shower and toilet. All rooms have mosquito nets & a fan Bring your own beach towels.
ZAR 890.00 per person sharing per night.
Both above have
FREE airport transfers
Not Included: Visas, arrival taxes, extras accounts & sundry charges.

If you arrive in July you could witness the Sardine Run on the Kwa-Zulu Natal East Coast.
visit this link Sardine Run Sardine Migration, South Africa

Diving in South Africa I would suggest you do a great white shark cage dive and also spend a few days in Cape Town.

I like diving at Protea Bank or Alliwal Shoal especially when the sardine run is on. You must however remember that there are no coral reefs in these areas.

I could also put a trip together for you which would include Game viewing in Kwa-Zulu Natal and Big 5 viewing at Umfolosi Game Reserve.and diving in Southern Mozambique visit African tour safari wildlife tours safaris South Africa wildlife experiences
Or alternatively if you would like to visit Kruger National Park, we can also put a tour together for you.

Are we supposed to actually believe that an adult wrote this jumble? My second grader has a better writing style.

i also have just come back from mozambique were we stayed in mokolo bay were our room was broken in to and we were robed while we were in bed me and the wife i belive we were gased .as there was a broken glass tumbler on the ground which should of woke me or my wife up .Even worse i belive it to be one of the staff or the owners which again were rasist to the bone.quotes like work like a black and the use of the n@#$$ers . we lost alot of dive equiptment our pass ports and i belive nearly our lives .really **** .i explained and asked the owners garret and his wife why was there not any dogs like they promised or the watch man she then said that its happened 6 times before .when i asked about safty she did not ****ing tell me that .
the strange thing was when i said that i will find it very diffiult to pay the bills with out our pass ports and credit cards hay presto 3 hours later they were found ..
as per the diving the day we arived garrets dive master lost the group ! and garret another dive instructor decided to carry on his group of very tired but lucky divers had to swim around 6 km back to shore . so please dont dive with this person .
we decided to dive with barra lodge very profesional perhaps a bit to consivertive for me they insisted on surfacing the group with 70 bar ? but drew the instructor actuly knew and worked for some of the people i know . I know alot of people . in the trade
what was disapointing about tofu was the fact that the mozambique goverment has just let a big comercial chinese fishing(finning) company in so bye bye sharks and rays .or get ther before they are gone .
the manta dives were fine but due to water temp on a few days they were not there simple .
also you can no longer dive on top of the cheaning stations which is fine but the route is very boring .im sorry but this is a fact but if i did not tell you you would not know the difference .

the funny thing was the price fixing in tofu stay away from the bigger shops or tofu in general i allways smile when some one askes me to do a check dive and pay 50us some times i would like to get my copy of the padi instructor manuel and stick it up well were the sun dont shine as another padi pro (100 dives ) trys to sell me or my wife a rescue course .i always ask my self would you do the dive to pick up the dead body or make the phone call . i think not.

all in all i would recomend barra because its just cheeper and the air is clean ie the is a compresor log all the equiptment is servied and number one its just safer .staff are profesional and have dived in and worked in more then one countrie .I was impresed with the new couple ,fellow bsac instructors . I know that they will do well i wish then luck but with there kind of back ground and training they wont need it .

This was my reply to Divingdog
Hi Divingdog thanks for that report what people do not realise is if you used a reputable booking agent instead of just jumping in with your eyes closed your nightmare could be turned into a dream vacation and it costs you no more as the resorts pay a commission to the agent.
We visit and dive at every resort that applies to us to be registered and only if they meet our requirements do we take bookings for them, we turned mokolo bays application down last year.
Next time you visit Mozambique please allow us to show you what this beautiful country is all about.
Lorraine

Vailchef...
just out of curiosity how many languages can you speak, and how many can you write? Lets not belittle other peoples written English when its entirely possible that English is not their first language (or indeed second or third).

Some hard-core sales pitches going on here ....

There's lots of places up and down the coast if you have some travelling experience go wander, nothing worse than being stuck at a resort / hotel that looked great but turns out to be hideous, so dont believe all the hype.

mpauline Sodwana is great that time of the year, and lots of places to choose from there, and its easier to get to. Its a bit rural which is nice, and there are other things to do there.

Vailchef...
just out of curiosity how many languages can you speak, and how many can you write? Lets not belittle other peoples written English when its entirely possible that English is not their first language (or indeed second or third).

"his group of very tired but lucky divers had to swim around 6 km back to shore"

Have you ever actually swam 6 km to shore?
The point is, that the poster is not really who they say they are now, see?

I speak English, German, some Spanish, and a bit of a few others. Whichever language I do write, I try and use some punctuation, instead of writing as a young child does whilst texting.

I wasnt sure what was "lucky" about swimming 6km back to shore to be honest. The 6km could have been a simple misunderstanding - in the same way I keep telling my wife that 6 inches is smaller than she thinks........

You cannot compare Sodwana to the Mozambique coast I prefer to dive where there is soft corral also there are more Whale Shark and Manta in Mozambique visit my web page for more info

I speak English, German, some Spanish, and a bit of a few others. Whichever language I do write, I try and use some punctuation, instead of writing as a young child does whilst texting.

WOW! Vailchef I have to go on record saying that you must be the most amazing, admirable person on these forums. Congratulations on being so highly skilled in all these languages. You have truly earned yourself the right to belittle others who are not quite as skilled.

We're not worthy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom