Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Anilao right now, just came over from Puerto Galera and have done budget style trips to Komodo and Raja Ampat.

Komodo runs about USD 115 per dive day (Scuba Junkie Komodo). Plus the crazy $25 per day tourist tax.
Raja Ampat about USD 115 per dive day also, very basic homestays with diving. Fixed $70 tourist tax per visit.
Puerto Galera I managed to get by with USD 80 per dive day (plus 15 USD extra for Verde Island)

All including food, 3 dives a day and basic accomodation. Own gear.

I dived Puerto Galera Canyons on slack tide yesterday. Disappointing, given how much its hyped up.. hardly any big fish. Corals isn't in that great a shape either. Anthias frenzy though. Batu Bolong in Komodo or Raja Ampat in general is way better.

I was pretty happy with prices at Bali (as well as the majority of the diving out of Padang Bai. Breakfast was included in the room rate and lunch in the dive rate. Nitrox was only 28% but was included at same rate as air.

I still have to get to Komodo, hopefully, next winter in combo with other Indonesian dive trips. I've been back in my home country for a month now but still can't concentrate on my real life as too busy dreaming of dives done and dives to come.:p

Glad to hear you loved it so much, @Trailboss123!

As for the question re: Raja Ampat, Komodo, and Philippines...

I’ve dived Raja by liveaboard 2X, Komodo by liveaboard 1X (returning for a liveaboard in October), and have dived Tubbataha in Philippines and Puerto Galera 1X each. Raja and Komodo both have more density, color, and diversity as well as better visibility. I went to Komodo in late Sept/early Oct and went to Raja in Mid April and Oct. Tubbataha was in late April and Puerto Galera was in early May.

Glad to hear you loved it so much, @Trailboss123!

As for the question re: Raja Ampat, Komodo, and Philippines...

I’ve dived Raja by liveaboard 2X, Komodo by liveaboard 1X (returning for a liveaboard in October), and have dived Tubbataha in Philippines and Puerto Galera 1X each. Raja and Komodo both have more density, color, and diversity as well as better visibility. I went to Komodo in late Sept/early Oct and went to Raja in Mid April and Oct. Tubbataha was in late April and Puerto Galera was in early May.
Good to know you had such good Raja experiences in April and October. I was under the impression that December-February were the prime months. Nice to hear that conditions are good in some other months- that gives me some flexibility.

I've heard that Raja is good in November but no real clue if that's true or not. In any event, even with the best laid plans, the sea shall provide what she shall provide and it may not be what we hoped . . .or it may be more blessings than we could possibly have imagined!

Thank you @Trailboss123 for this long and detailed Dive Trip Report which is very useful for me going there for 8 days end of May.

Can you please summarize what is your TOP 3 or 5 dive sites? And why?

For Verde Island, do you know if all dive shops often go there, or only the most popular like Asia Divers (I am going to dive with Sea Rider Dive Center) I hope I could make it at least once or twice during my stay.

Thank you @Trailboss123 for this long and detailed Dive Trip Report which is very useful for me going there for 8 days end of May.

Can you please summarize what is your TOP 3 or 5 dive sites? And why?

For Verde Island, do you know if all dive shops often go there, or only the most popular like Asia Divers (I am going to dive with Sea Rider Dive Center) I hope I could make it at least once or twice during my stay.

As for Verde Island, I just looked up your dive operator and it looks like they go there, but may want a minimum number of people (4-6 divers) in order to make the trip.
If for some reason they don't offer Verde Island or you don't have the minimum, you should ask them to find another dive operator for you to go out there with at least once or find your own-- not to be missed!

As for favorite dives sites apart from Verde Island, I would say the following, but keep in mind that currents, tides and conditions will dictate where you can go and when. Since we did 3-4 dives a day over 10 days, we were able to hit pretty much everything at some point or another:

In no particular order:
1. Sinandigan Wall (Nudibranch Heaven)
2. Monkey Beach drift back toward Sabang Point (Great corals and reef in the 15-40 foot range)
3. Sabang Point and Sabang Bay (wonderful drift free diving among lots of gorgeous corals)
4. Boulders - (really interesting topography- very different from everything else)
5. Canyons (Chance to see bigger stuff and enjoy some high speed adrenaline currents)
6. Hole in the Wall (Really fun and varied dive site not far from the Canyons)

Most people consider the Alma Jane wreck as a "must do" dive and I am sure you will end up doing it. It has its charms and if diving there for an extended period of time, I would definitely do it. But, it is a very short dive due to its depth; and, if you dive it with a huge group, it is a very unenjoyable dive, in my opinion. If it were in a shallower location and/or adjacent to a reef where you could get away from the wreck to explore and return, then it would be a "can't miss" dive-- but it isn't that. Nevertheless, that is where I spotted the resident Leaf Scorpionfish in the sand near the port side bow of the ship.

As for muck/macro, the go to dive sites are the ones I listed in my report: Montani and Boatyard.

upload_2019-4-19_12-42-15.png

Leaf Scorpionfish at the Alma Jane

I remember this Leaf Scorpionfish that you initially mistook for a Frogfish. :wink:

Thanks for these inputs and will make sure to dive Verde with my dive operator or with any other close by who is going there during my stay .

I also want to dive Sinandigan wall that you praised so much in your report.

I found out there are other great dive sites on the Eastern part of Sabang (Turtle Rock, Horse Head...) but a very few dive operators go there as it is quite deep (120+ feet)

Thanks for the "Trueman show" version of a trip report!! Very entertaining and informative!!

I am glad you had such a good time in South East Asia...this part of the world is truly brilliant! BUT do yourself a favor and explore the region!! There are so so many places easily as good and more often than not significantly better than PG.

Enjoy the search!
No doubt about that! I lived in Singapore from 1983-1985 and traveled extensively around SE Asia during that time. Went back again traveling around Thailand, India and Nepal in 1996 and then another stint in SE Asia 2012. Only 2 countries on the continent I haven't been to yet and probably won't get to in my lifetime: Mongolia and North Korea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom