Trip Report - Puerto Galera (Philippines) May 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for bringing back memories. I dove Puerto Galera in August of 1996. They were my first post-certified dives and the massive coral formations and the huge wealth of sea life spoiled me. My next dives were in the Florida Keys and I was all like, "Damn, this is disappointing. What a ****** place to dive." I got over it. But man that Filipino diving was good.

Nice, thanks for posting.

Thanks for bringing back memories. I dove Puerto Galera in August of 1996. They were my first post-certified dives and the massive coral formations and the huge wealth of sea life spoiled me. My next dives were in the Florida Keys and I was all like, "Damn, this is disappointing. What a ****** place to dive." I got over it. But man that Filipino diving was good.
I guess that corals were even wealthier at this time as El Nido phenomenon was not a reality yet (coral bleaching) and tourism was not as developed as it is today.
I still thought it was a great diving spot and will definitely come back to Puerto Galera if I can.

Pleased you had a great trip.. you made a great choice to dive with Mark and Rico at Sea Rider..

Did your family find anything fun to do while you were diving? I am trying to find a good place to dive where my companion- who will not dive- can also have fun while I am out on a dive boat.

Did your family find anything fun to do while you were diving? I am trying to find a good place to dive where my companion- who will not dive- can also have fun while I am out on a dive boat.

Hi Shmuggy,
There are plenty of things to do in Puerto galera apart from diving, all within 30 mins to an hour ride there is zip lining, 9 hole golf course, Tamaraw waterfalls, Indigenous villages, Mangrove eco-park, White beach, island hopping/ snorkeling trips, hidden paradise and an adventure park with go-carting, ATV rides and archery. A huge new water park has just opened in Calapan which is also great for a visit.

I dove only on the morning to not let my wife and daughter alone all day long.
On the morning, they just relaxed at the hotel and enjoyed the swimming pools (they are big sleepers anyway)
Every afternoon, we went to discover a new beach, and to ride around by scooter.
At night, we had a walk and tried different restaurants (best was El Galleon)
We never got bored, even if we didn't try all activities mentionned by @Scandi Divers
If we stayed more time, we would probably also have visited the (small) waterfalls and ride further, but we didn't feel the need to do it this time.

That new ferry system is a mess! I went in March, we were packed in to Genesis I like sardines, I didn't even have enough room to sit down in my allocated seat and I am ot that big. Baggage was pilled up next the only door which was bolted shut. Terrible and totally unsafe in my opinion.

After some digging for what happened to the outrigger banca service, which I never had an issue with in all sorts of conditions over 10 years of going to PG, apparently it was decided in Manila that only steel hulled boats can offer the ferry service, and the boat company (owned by the local mayor) bought two old Korean ferries. Genesis II on the way back was bit better at least, but I still did not like being locked inside, and cut off from making an exit if needed. Seems like the only company operating the ferry has a monopoly.

There is a private service on banca possible for something like P3k but you need to go to the port a bit to the north west of Batangas, it can also leave from Sabang.

Otherwise use the bus /. ferry service that operates out City State hotel in Manila, leaves there 8am and no hassles getting a spot on the ferry.

Another point wrt the OP booking on booking.com (or other web sites) that take your money upfront or make you committed - often this has not worked out well for me, besides maybe one night in Manila say where often there are good deals. Rather contact the establishment directly and make a reservation with them, often you don't need to fully commit and you can move on to another place if its not working out - its not great if you get stuck at a place you are not happy with.

Back
Top Bottom