Trip Report: Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uppa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I just got back from a fantastic week in Roatan. As new divers we weren't looking for an AI-style resort, and were fortunate enough to make good choices for both our accommodations and diving.

Where we stayed: Cocolobo. Three buildings containing a total of twelve rooms, all of them ocean view. Big, sunny, clean and new. Great management (although sadly Rory and Claire are going back to England in a few more weeks) and a laid back atmosphere. While more expensive than some options, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for quiet and relaxation when you want it, while being only a 3 minute walk from the West End.

The one "con" to Cocolobo: It's on the Iron Shore. While there's a beach only a short walk away, you won't be strolling down to the water from your room.

Where we dived: Coconut Tree Divers. Two well-equipped dive boats and a fantastic staff. We did our OW certifications through them (dives only, showed up with referral), and then dove with them the rest of the week. My girlfriend had equalization issues all week (she ended up not being able to dive two days) and they bent over backwards to accommodate her. She completed dives 3 and 4 of the OW with just her and the instructor after the rest of us had finished the day before.

What we saw: An octopus glaring at us from the conch shell he'd just emptied out, many sea turtles, coral and fish beyond count, the wreck of the Prince Albert (south side dive), lobsters, an eel or three, and on my last dive I caught up with a gorgeous spotted eagle ray (pic attached).

The only bad decision we made was to only go for a week, but fortunately we'll fix that mistake next year. The atmosphere in the West End is a great one, and I can't wait to go back.

Attachments

• IMG_4882_resized.jpg
    IMG_4882_resized.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 510
Roatan is a great spot for diving and doing courses. Diving has opened out across the length island opening up more of the other lesser known spots. The west end has really changed in the past couple of years but still has the most interesting scene IMO. I thought the reef had come back of late but as of everywhere in the Caribbean overfishing of reef fish seemed apparent. I will be diving sometime soon in the ABC's and reporting on that but I better get prepared to pay more for my diving as I think the bay islands offer the best value for money in the Caribbean.

We were at Fantasy Island for a week in early May. I think I have seen more fish life on the other side of the Island -- we have been at Anthony's and Inn of Last Resort on previous years. The diveguide was great about showing us what was there, but it wasn't like I remembered Roatan in the past.
Donna

Back
Top Bottom