Trip Report Trip Report: Sea of Cortez with the Gallant Lady and Cabo San Lucas with SeeCreatures, Nov.2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rico Del Mar and Quino El Guardian operate out of Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) when the Sorroco season ends. Dora Sierra, the owner of these liveaboards, schedules trips in the northern Gulf of California. I haven't looked to see what she has on the upcoming summer/fall schedule, but she has scheduled trips that cover the entire length of the Baja side of the gulf as well as trips out of Puerto Peñasco down into the Midriff Islands with a return to Puerto Peñasco.

Her summer/fall trips usually involve stops in Bahia de las Angeles to spend time snorkeling with whale sharks. Dives at Isla San Pedro Martir have been the norm as well.

Her citizen science trips look really interesting. Basically, divers assist research scientists with a variety of projects.

San Carlos, Sonora, is scheduled to get another attraction for scuba divers and snorkelers. They've been planning to sink a retired WWII/Korean Conflict minesweeper some time in December. I'm not sure how they're progressing with the prep work (clean-up work & cutting entry/exit openings) on the ship. The plan is to put the ship into 60'-70' of water. This depth is well within recreational scuba range. San Carlos is a pretty easy drive from southern Arizona.

A couple of operators have offered land-based trips to Bahia de las Angeles. The whale shark action this past year was spectacular. It's an amazing area. I did a trip into the area a couple of years ago planning to get content for a chapter in my book. The story I got wasn't what I thought I'd get.

There's lots of diving available in the northern end of the gulf, but getting there often requires some effort and planning. Unlike destinations in southern Baja, air travel options in the northern gulf are very limited.

-AZTinman

Great report & thread, tons of good information. Thanks all

Sea lions bit all over my underwater camera system as well! Definitely the last time I bring a snorkel on a sea lion dive.

Agreed about the northern Sea of Cortez. After this trip to the southern part, I think I would like to explore the north via Rocio del Mar.

I think you would enjoy the north on the Rocio great crew and great boat. We only saw one other boat on our trip last year and it was the Rocio's sister ship and that was just for one dive. The north had tons of life big and small and we had it all to ourselves.

Sounds great! I don't think I'll make it out there this year, but maybe in 2022.

Also, an addendum to my trip report: I had originally booked a one day Cabo Pulmo diving trip through Cabo Adventures. While I was in Mexico, they cancelled it due to weather and promised me a full refund. After multiple e-mails over the course of the past month, I finally had to file a dispute with my credit card company in order to get my money back. Avoid Cabo Adventures!

I think you would enjoy the north on the Rocio great crew and great boat. We only saw one other boat on our trip last year and it was the Rocio's sister ship and that was just for one dive. The north had tons of life big and small and we had it all to ourselves.
@NorCalDM - did you dive the itinerary out of Puerto Penasco to the Midriff Islands?

San Carlos, Sonora, is scheduled to get another attraction for scuba divers and snorkelers. They've been planning to sink a retired WWII/Korean Conflict minesweeper some time in December. I'm not sure how they're progressing with the prep work (clean-up work & cutting entry/exit openings) on the ship. The plan is to put the ship into 60'-70' of water. This depth is well within recreational scuba range. San Carlos is a pretty easy drive from southern Arizona.
@AZTinman - do you know if the minesweeper is available to dive yet? I'm heading to San Carlos in August with a LDS, for my first time diving there.

@AZTinman - do you know if the minesweeper is available to dive yet? I'm heading to San Carlos in August with a LDS, for my first time diving there.
They just sank it on Thursday. I was told by one of the San Carlos dive shops that it would be three weeks after sinking before diving would be allowed. It should be good to go by August.

Back
Top Bottom