Trip Report to Port Hardy BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbait

Registered
Reaction score
This trip report is a little old, but I thought the cold water diving contingent on the board would like it.

Sharkbait

Dive report from Seymour Inlet Lodge, Port Hardy British Columbia, July 21 to July 24.

In the four days we were there I made ten dives and my wife made nine. The water temperature was 48 degrees with visibility running around 50 to 60 feet. Our average dive depth was around 80 feet with one at 97 feet. Every dive is different, on some of the dives the interesting area will be at 95 feet and deeper and on some going below 45 feet was a waste of air.

The dive sites ranges from the outer Slingsby Channel into Nakwakto Rapids. We dove various sites from walls to current swept channels and rock pinnacles. Its amazing how fast you start to understand currents when you are looking for a back eddy in a five knot current. On several of the dives it felt like we were diving in a washing machine. The currents ran every direction imaginable, and this was at slack current. I can’t imagine what they would be like at full exchange.

This is our third trip up there and I am still amazed at the amount of life on the dives. The critters ranged from carpets of Tunicates to Puget Sound King Crab’s that measured (yes, I measured them) nine inches across the carapace.

Diving in Nakwakto Rapids itself is always a real thrill. Turret Rock boasts the only place in the world for subtidal Gooseneck Barnacles, technically called Leaf Barnacles. There are fields of them at Turret Rock, not just a few clumps, but fields of them. However, because of the severe current that flows around Turret Rock (10 knots) a diver doesn’t much time on the barnacles. In fact the dive briefing is very specific: "You have 5 minutes to swim to the barnacles, spend no more than 10 minutes on them, then head for the back eddy on Turret Rock." If you screw up……you will be blown out of the channel and will have a lovely tour of Seymour Inlet as you wait for the boat to pick you up. We followed the dive instructions and we still had to fight a three knot current to get into the back eddy.

The lodge was as comfortable as always, the food was good and we were able to totally relax. All-in-all…an excellent trip. I spent every safety stop looking for the elusive Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker, but the critter still evades me.

woo hoo!!!
sounds like fun!!

I learned about currents below the oil rigs off of Hungtington Beach. Yeah, some days we just spend an hour hunkering behind a vertical structural member (jacket, i think is the proper term?) and watch the fish struggle against the current!

carrying a big housed camera however has changed things for me big time!, now i actually get cold and find currents a royal pain in the arse!

Are we sick puppies for enjoying this kind of diving?

If the diving is not in 50°F water with at least a three knot current with down-wellings it ain't diving.

Well....now that I've gotten older and a bit wimpier, I do enjoy nice mellow diving. However, I do love diving higher currents.

yeah, our last oil rig dive was a beaut. the current was like a gusty wind: one minute it was howling and the next minute it died down just enough that we could barely stay in one place while finning like madmen! The boat captain is such a nice guy that he picks everybody up about a quarter-mile downcurrent! Of course those of us who surface where we went in have to drift towards the boat and sometimes the current is greater at depth than at the surface. We actually had a lengthy surface swim one day when we came up where we were supposed to and everyone else came up about 200 yards to the South! The nice thing about currents is that the fish seem to ignore divers! Good for photo ops! If you can hold the camera in place!

Derawan, Indonesia is a neat place for drift diving also. The howlers start up as the tides start to come in or go out and its non-stop wall-flying from there! Bring your safety sausage and spread your wings!!!!

Hmmm... Sharkbait, that trip sounds familiar, are you by chance with the Marker Buoy dive club in Seattle?

now I'm a member of the Moss Bay Dive club out of Kirkland.

Are you in Marker Buoy????

I am/was. I joined MB 6 years ago shortly after being certified, still technically a member, but I'm now in southern Florida. Only been here since mid-June. So far I've done 8 warm water dives and one spring dive, the other 280+ all in Puget Sound and Canada (BC).

Back
Top Bottom