Tropic Bird BVI - Capt. Mike Bloss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2:
I dove with Capt. Mike Bloss 5 different times aboard one of the very first Live-a-boards in the Caribbean; the Tropic Bird out of Tortola BVI. This was back in the 80's. The boat was a converted German mine sweeper. Does anyone know what ever happened to the Tropic Bird, or Mike Bloss? He was a real free spirit and I heard that he went to the Mediterrnean. Any info on this would be appreciated, and if you dove off the Tropic Bird, I would really like to hear from you.

Barracuda2

I suspect this message is from my dive buddy "Joe D". It's been a long time since we talked. I still remember the good times we had on the Tropic Bird with you, Vinnie, Bill, Gwen, Margo (and, of course, Capt. Mike). The last I heard, Capt. Mike was the Engineer on a boat out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. (I stay in touch with Capt. Dan Morrison and I think he stays in touch with Mike.) The last I heard of the MV Tropic Bird, she was settling in the mud (dockside) somewhere in Puerto Rico. I was booked for 2 weeks on it when she was supposedly operating out of Tortola with the new owner-a crook! I never did get the trip I paid for but, fortunately, I did recover my $$s via Trip Insurance. I was in contact with the Postal Authorities re false advertising via the mail and also with the Ventura, CA DA's office. I was invited to appear at a bankruptcy hearing (in CA) involving the new owner (the swindler) of the "Bird". Needless to say, I didn't go--can't recover money out of a "crook". I also wrote a "blasting" letter to the Editor of the Skin Diver magazine which had published a "glowing" article about the NEW Tropic Bird (at the time of publishing, the Bird was being held in a ship yard in Venzuela for non payment of repair bills. Well, enough for now, Joe. Drop me a line (SCUBA4BILL@AOL.COM -- BILL HITCHENS, Myrtle Beach, SC).

Barracuda2:
I dove with Capt. Mike Bloss 5 different times aboard one of the very first Live-a-boards in the Caribbean; the Tropic Bird out of Tortola BVI. This was back in the 80's. The boat was a converted German mind sweeper. Does anyone know what ever happened to the Tropic Bird, or Mike Bloss? He was a real free spirit and I heard that he went to the Mediterrnean. Any info on this would be appreciated, and if you dove off the Tropic Bird, I would really like to hear from you.

Barracuda2

I suspect this message is from my dive buddy "Joe D". It's been a long time since we talked. I still remember the good times we had on the Tropic Bird with you, Vinnie, Bill, Gwen, Margo (and, of course, Capt. Mike). The last I heard, Capt. Mike was the Engineer on a boat out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. (I stay in touch with Capt. Dan Morrison and I think he stays in touch with Mike.) The last I heard of the MV Tropic Bird, she was settling in the mud (dockside) somewhere in Puerto Rico. I was booked for 2 weeks on it when she was supposedly operating out of Tortola with the new owner-a crook! I never did get the trip I paid for but, fortunately, I did recover my $$s via Trip Insurance. I was in contact with the Postal Authorities re false advertising via the mail and also with the Ventura, CA DA's office. I was invited to appear at a bankruptcy hearing (in CA) involving the new owner (the swindler) of the "Bird". Needless to say, I didn't go--can't recover money out of a "crook". I also wrote a "blasting" letter to the Editor of the Skin Diver magazine which had published a "glowing" article about the NEW Tropic Bird (at the time of publishing, the Bird was being held in a ship yard in Venzuela for non payment of repair bills. Well, enough for now, Joe. Drop me a line (SCUBA4BILL@AOL.COM -- BILL HITCHENS, Myrtle Beach, SC).

Jim "Joe D." Smith:
Hey Dan, glad to see you're still around. Just a heads-up, I got married and am now living in Pittsburgh and no longer in Paradise Pennsylvania. I hope you still remember me (Joe D.). I saw that Gwen got married. Does anyone know what happened to Margo? How about Albert and Brixie?

Joe can you see this?
Dan

:crafty: Greetings: I work with Mike Bloss aboard a private yacht from 1993-1995, he was chief engineer and i was the second engineer. The yacht went round the world twice; once headed east (northern hemi), next headed west (southern hemi). I jumped ship after first trip but Mike was aboard for the second trip. The boat did lots of diving.

I cannot recall what ever happened to the tropic bird. I think Mike still call St. Thomas (USVI) home. That's all
CUBA4BILL]I suspect this message is from my dive buddy "Joe D". It's been a long time since we talked. I still remember the good times we had on the Tropic Bird with you, Vinnie, Bill, Gwen, Margo (and, of course, Capt. Mike). The last I heard, Capt. Mike was the Engineer on a boat out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. (I stay in touch with Capt. Dan Morrison and I think he stays in touch with Mike.) The last I heard of the MV Tropic Bird, she was settling in the mud (dockside) somewhere in Puerto Rico. I was booked for 2 weeks on it when she was supposedly operating out of Tortola with the new owner-a crook! I never did get the trip I paid for but, fortunately, I did recover my $$s via Trip Insurance. I was in contact with the Postal Authorities re false advertising via the mail and also with the Ventura, CA DA's office. I was invited to appear at a bankruptcy hearing (in CA) involving the new owner (the swindler) of the "Bird". Needless to say, I didn't go--can't recover money out of a "crook". I also wrote a "blasting" letter to the Editor of the Skin Diver magazine which had published a "glowing" article about the NEW Tropic Bird (at the time of publishing, the Bird was being held in a ship yard in Venzuela for non payment of repair bills. Well, enough for now, Joe. Drop me a line (SCUBA4BILL@AOL.COM -- BILL HITCHENS, Myrtle Beach, SC).[/QUOTE]

On 12/17/04, I had a response from Cristina (sales@kleintours.com.ec) confirming that their MV Coral used to be the MV Tropic Bird. Your can obtain more info (& pictures) re the Coral at their web site (www.kleintours.com) in the picture gallery. The boat has been completely rebuilt -- it is hard to recognize her. She is cruising in the galapagos Islands.

Hi,

I dove with you on the Tropic Bird in 1987, and again when you were capt. of the Belize Aggressor in 1990. I was part of a group from NJ (Gene, Peggy, Ed, Iggy, Scotty, ...).

Ironically, I just returned and dove on the Belize Aggressor III last month. A hell of a different boat from the old Tropic Bird! (What, no gargbage scow?)

Joel

My first travel diving trip was on the TROPIC BIRD with Mike, May 25th to 31st, 1985. I attempted to remove a piece of brass from one of the wrecks we dove and my buddy Mike waved his finger at me: a definite no-no, even back then. I remember it was a good trip but, man, could that guy ever pack away the booze; constantly popping open a beer from a well stocked aft fridge. And me only 4 years on AA! Anyone else from that trip lurking on this board?
Frank Farmer, Long Beach, CA
Co-founder, California Wreck Divers

TROPIC BIRD was a fixture in the British Virgin Islands in the 80's. Capt. Mike was a great guy.

Does anybody remember a dive master named Lori? She was a busty blonde :D

If she was on board in 87, I know who she is. I might even have a photo of her around some place. I did 2 or 3 trip on the Bird in 86 and 87 with a group out of Hartford CT.

The Tropic Bird was a converted German E-Boat or also known as a Snell-Boat which was the German version of the PT boat. I remember that she could roll quite a bit, but was a great place to be at the time.

I also kind of remember one Friday night when we all ended up in some island ***** house. No, I did not go up stairs but did lose a lot of dollars playing dominos and drinking a lot of beer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom