True Minimalism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkennedy:
Welcome to the board Nimrod and I hope you can find a life under water..........
Well, your welcome but getting back to mimimalism. I see another thread has started explaining some of these concepts. But--what equipment do you guys use, carry to feel properly equipped for run of the mill open water dives. I mean, what would your minimlaistic approach to reducing equipment be? Since recently my dives have been from kayaks that entails a whole 'nuther relm of equipment and some of that is CG required, for example having a CG approved life preserver. In any case I imagine there are as many approaches to diving with mimimum equipment as there are people who practice minimal diving. For one I have dispensed of the snorkel a long time ago. I never liked using them anyway even for skin diving but each to his/her own. I do carry a small knife and have as I mentioned found it rarely useful so I probably will continue that practice. Do you group your dive instruments in a console or wear seperate instruments or rely upon a computer type all in one device? All valid approaches to reducing clutter on and about one's person. I do think that certain types of diving now refered to as technical diving may not be the best place to practice total minimalsim. Being in a cave with only one light is probably more than minimal is more likely stupid. Well, thanks for the tips and other assorted comments, take care. N

Nemrod:
I do think that certain types of diving now refered to as technical diving may not be the best place to practice total minimalsim. Being in a cave with only one light is probably more than minimal is more likely stupid. Well, thanks for the tips and other assorted comments, take care. N
Actually, they're a great place to practice minimalism. Like others have said here though, it isn't about using as little as possible, but as little as makes sense. A minimalist cave diver would probably have a primary canister light and two backups for example.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom