TRUK LAGOON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maduro Dive A new article has been posted

TRUK LAGOON

truk-lagoon-regional-map1.gif

Leading a group January 2019 on the Odyssey. We have the whole vessel chartered for this adventure. Interested? Contact me via email at ani.gonzalez@comcast.net or ani@scubagirls.com.

Leading a group here in January 2019 on the Odyssey. We, I'm running this trip with John Nussbaum & Autumn Blum, have the whole vessel chartered with room for advanced, tech & CCR divers. Interested? Contact me via email at ani@scubagirls.com.

Went there for the 70th Anniversary. Amazing Diving and everyone was very experienced. Bouncy expertise a must... both for the safety stops and for the wreck penetration. At first, I was very apprehensive about the heavy penetration wreck dives (since there are no internal lines and no divers ever used a line) However, the dive masters are excellent and the routes are very well known.....and I never felt uncomfortable at anytime..... except getting tangled in fishing line on the outside of one of the wrecks.... easily freed with dive knife.

Out of respect for the dead, our dive group decided not to photograph the remains of the dead. These ships are essentially war memorials and tombs. We felt it would be analogous to photographing our sailor's remains at Pearl Harbor. The bones were not plentiful like we thought, so 99 percent of the other historical war artifacts were much more interesting to photograph anyhow.

Out of respect for the dead, our dive group decided not to photograph the remains of the dead. These ships are essentially war memorials and tombs. We felt it would be analogous to photographing our sailor's remains at Pearl Harbor. The bones were not plentiful like we thought, so 99 percent of the other historical war artifacts were much more interesting to photograph anyhow.
This is the one reasons why I have very mixed feelings about diving Truk and why I will probably never go. As a history buff, I would find the dives and the significance of the lagoon fascinating. It was such a turning point in the war in the Pacific and it decimated the Japanese fleet much in the same way that the US Pacific Fleet was at Pearl Harbor except that the Imperial Japanese Navy never fully recovered.

As a vet, however, I too see this as Hallowed Ground and to be respected as such. I would never consider a dive vacation that would have me diving on the USS Arizona and I would be hard pressed to convince myself to dive in Truk even with the historical significance of the battle.

For now, there are too many dives that I haven't done that I am in no rush to deal with (what is for me) this ethical dilemma.

Last edited:
This a certainty a bucket list item for me. I just hope there is something to see when I can finally make the trip.

Been there 5 times and love the place. Going back again as I have 10 ships not yet dived from a possible 39 divable wrecks. Think there are about 60 wrecks but many have not been located. Would love to spend a few months there and find some of them as well.

Think there are about 60 wrecks but many have not been located. Would love to spend a few months there and find some of them as well.
I would love to do that also but need to win the lottery first.

Back
Top Bottom