trumpetfish or cornetfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morretti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
These pix were shot on Bonaire in June.

Is it a baby trumpetfish, or is it a cornetfish?

9Kk2Rhn.jpg

HMaTAvo.jpg

6QK25fo.jpg

Trumpet. Saw lots of small trumpet fish last week, more than any other time there. Just my $ .02

Hope all is well,

:)

It's a flutemouth... tee hee (the name is occasionally used for both species). Seriously, it is a trumpetfish.

The bluespotted cornetfish has a long tail filament xtending from the middle of the tail. I can't make that extension out in the second picture. I've seen far more trumpetfish than cornetfish on Bonaire but I have seen some. The only thing that bothers me about the ID is the face. It's not typical of a trumpet (see below) but looks more like a bluespotted cornetfish. Would need to see the entire tail clearly to be definitive.

Trumpetfish-head-detail.jpg

Attachments

• Trumpetfish-head-detail.jpg
    Trumpetfish-head-detail.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 339
Hard to tell but based on what I can see from the middle photo, there appears to be a tail extension and if so, it's a cornetfish.

If present, a tail filament would definitively identify it as a cornetfish. If absent, it could still be a cornetfish that had an accident.

The markings and the more slender shape make me lean toward Fistularia tabacaria (bluespotted cornetfish) but you said baby so presumably it's small. Juveniles can be difficult to ID.

Personally I don't think it looks much like a bluespotted cornetfish, but I'm not an expert on tropical fishes

Back
Top Bottom