Trying to add a sepia effect - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - here's my latest attempt:

emmons4.jpg

In retrospect, the vignette effect might be too visible here. May have to tone it down a little.

soldave:
OK - here's my latest attempt:

emmons4.jpg

In retrospect, the vignette effect might be too visible here. May have to tone it down a little.

I don't notice a vignette.... what I notice is the hotspot in the top portion of the frame... where the bubbles are....

I also notice a grey area in the center... possibly where you applied the 'burn' tool.

Also, I would boost the contrast a little. An old sepia print usually has poor shadow definition.

All of these depends on the mood that you want the image to hold. In my first version, I emulated a poor condition color print... in my last, an old black and white.... what are your goals? It usually helps to define your goals so that you can work towards the final product... rather than just trying things and seeing where you end up. (unless you are trying things just to learn how they work, that's another story).

I'm an experienced photoshop user... feel free to PM me if you like.

I'm a professional... I don't just play one on the net :14:
http://www.news-journalonline.com/photo/pringle/

Thanks for the comments, DaytonaDave. The image I'm trying to project is a sepia photograph, that has faded with age somewhat. In a way, I am just trying things and seeing which ones work and which don't as I'm a newbie with Photoshop. I am intent on learning though and will be buying a couple of books on it in the next couple of weeks.

I didn't apply the burn tool. I only added a white layer and applied a circular vignette to that layer. The grey area and hotspot seem to be consequences of this vignette. Maybe I should look at removing it completely...

I will try boosting the contrast to see what effect that has. Thanks once again:)

soldave:
Thanks for the comments, DaytonaDave........

I only added a white layer and applied a circular vignette to that layer.

No problem! Hope I wasn't too harsh.

Can you explain how you added the vignette in a little more detail? There is a very efficient way to do it properly, but it's a tad more involved (tools)... there are also 'plug-ins' and 'actions' out there, but you usually have less control.

You've got a good start..... Do you know what book you are getting?
This brand is very good, you may want to try it. I've used them for other software...Visual Quickstart Guide

Thanks for all your advice, and you were definately not too harsh! I've actually made a few modifications to the vignette as I didn't like it too much, and I'm pretty pleased with the final result (I'll post it later) as it looks a lot more faded and weathered. For this newer vignette I made a white layer and selected an area about 200px in from each border (the full size pic is about 2800*1600). I then chose to feather it by 200px before choosing to hide the selection. I played around with the opacity until I found something I liked.

I'm sure there are much more efficient ways of doing things with CS2, and it is now something I can devote a little of my time to so hopefully I'll get much better. The book I've ordered on recommendation is "How to Wow: Photoshop for Photography (How to Wow)" although it won't ship here in Japan for a couple of weeks. Is that one you've heard of and would recommend?

I looked at some of your photography work and it's excellent. You take the kind of photos I'd like to take!

soldave:
"How to Wow: Photoshop for Photography (How to Wow)" although it won't ship here in Japan for a couple of weeks. Is that one you've heard of and would recommend?

I looked at some of your photography work and it's excellent. You take the kind of photos I'd like to take!

I'm not familiar with that book. I've heard of it, but I've never gotten a chance to get my hands on it. After looking it up on Amazon, it is probably a book I wouldn't mind having... There is always something to learn... no matter how educated you are.

There is an association where you can learn on a regular basis. www.photoshopuser.com . They have a bi-monthly magazine which is awesome.

Thanks for the compliments on my photos. Unfortunately, it's a corporate site and slow to put up new stuff... I'd love to take a few of those down and get my new stuff on there.

Good luck in your photoshop education! (hope you're ready to never have learned everything!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom