• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Trying to find some old divers from Belgium....

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by mattherat, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Rollin

Rollin Professional Photographer

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Impressive googling! I suppose you translated this article already? In short, the three people you mention were members of "Wavre Plongée Club". Wavre is a city in the now French speaking part of Belgium, only 12 miles south east of Brussels.
    Your article is a part of a French car magazine, describing the story. The scuba part is on page 64 of the magazine, or 53 on the site.

According to an article in a local magazine I found, Wavre Plongée Club stopped its activities in 1985, and the president of that time is not longer amongst us. If I understand correctly, the members of this club joined another group and formed Les Macareux. (the puffins). You could contact the current president, he looks young, so English should be no problem. This will be your best bet I guess.

But, it is a long time ago, and several generations of divers came and went. Good luck!

mattherat likes this.
  2. mattherat

mattherat Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    i emailed Cedric the president, no reply as yet (but then maybe it went to his spam)
    I managed to find their facebook page, messaged him on messenger, he has not recieved that, tried to join their group, denied, tried to message a couple of other club members and no one has seen my messages. I am starting to think maybe they are a secret society rather than a dive club!

3. Rollin

Wow, you really did an effort.

Not everyone is online all the time. Give it some time.

4. Rollin

Still no replies?

mattherat likes this.
  5. Zef

Zef Divemaster

I recommend contacting the dive shop in Bruxelles, DSM (Diving Scuba Marine). Ask for Martine. She is a lovely elderly lady that has worked there and has been plugged in to the diving community here for years. Martine is very familiar with lots of people in the diving community here in Belgium, current and historic, she may know or know of the people you are looking for. Note that she does not speak English...I know she speaks French and she may speak other languages too, but not English.

Diving Scuba Marine
    +32-22-15-07-72

-Z

mattherat likes this.
  6. mattherat

mattherat Nassau Grouper

So i got a reply from Cedric the president of the club, he managed to give me the details of one of the guys (the others have all passed away now sadly). So i got a friend who speaks French to give him a call in case he does not speak English, but he told my friend he has no idea what he was talking about! So i really want someone else to try and speak with him but i do not want to harras him, as i am certain he is one of the original divers, but maybe he has health issues so he cannot remember. Without knowing if he speaks English i am a bit stuck for trying myself

7. mattherat

mattherat Nassau Grouper

Thank you Zef, i may try this approach also

8. Zef

Zef Divemaster

I am a native english speaker (from the US) living in Belgium and I am very proficient in French...perhaps I can help. I have skype, whatsapp, and facebook messenger to place/receive calls from the US. PM me for contact details.

-Z

mattherat likes this.