Trying to understand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zhe_Phil_GO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend I did some wrecks in the Ontario region, it was the first time that I went that deep in that type of water (low visibility).

Before I start, I will provide some background about me. I have 40 dives behind me, did do some 60 feet’s dives and even deeper divers, in the greater Caribbeans. I am also used in doing some 30~40 feet dives with low visibility, even very low visibility.

Having said that, here’s what happen, I was with a new buddy, we did your equipment check, talked about how everything should be going, slow, easy, no rush, etc.

First dive, we went down, everything was fine, I looked at my gauge, saw 65 feets**, at this point panic set in, (don’t know why), went up a bit, and needed to hold to something, so toke hold of something of the deck, waited a bit, it passed, everything was cool after that. Got out of the water, didn’t really like the dive. Thought to my self, this was the first, next dive should go better.

Next dive starts; everything is going nice, at 50, near the wreck, again, panic :11: . At that point, I stopped, thought about calling the dive. But rather than calling the dive, decided to chill a bit, and see. Waited one minute or two, and everything was back to normal. We went around the wreck and everything was fine.

Overall, it wasn’t that great :( , I am thinking that it’s simply a question of me getting used to this type of diving. But I was wondering if somebody had any comments.

Thank you

Phil

** I know, I should have being monitoring more closely my depth.:shakehead
** I don't think this is related, but before the dives I toke some Non Drowsy Claritin (24h)
** Moderator; if this is in the wrong forum, sorry about that :)

My guess would be psychological.

If you did dives over 60' in clear water with no problems it isn't depth related.

Have you taken the claritin on other dives? Did it have the same effects?

I am a beginning diver, so my opinion on this matter may be moot, but a guy at work who has dove for years says its a big difference going deep in the Caribbean compared to Ontario where we live. I think the cold and lack of vis really impresses on our hindbrain just how deep we are, whereas in the Caribbean it is wide open and panic isn't as likely.
my .02
Mike

Going from warm water to cold water is almost like a different sport. It takes some getting used to. Going from 80 degree water to cold water wearing a 7mm suit or a drysuit and the additional weight and limited vis can be a big adjustment.

Sounds like you handled it pretty well. But yes, going from diving warm water to cold/low viz/major exposure protection is like a different sport. And 65' in the murk feels much deeper than 65' in the Carribean. Were you originally certified at home or in warm water? If you haven't done AOW yet now might be a good time to do it locally, just to get some different experiences, do a deep dive in a more controlled situation, and have an instructor there to make you feel better for a few dives. Or go back to the depth you are comfortable at and increase it more gradually.

Just do as you did and take it slow. You should eventually get use to the low vis/dark at depths in cold water. I took quite awhile to work my way down to deep water. Now I think nothing of 100'. Any day over 10' vis is a good day.

Charles

Ditto to above replies plus - You might be experiancing a little vertigo getting water in one ear and not the other: you are now using a hood when you are in the water pull the sides open to let water in - it may help equalize. You are in a 7mm wet suit with lots of weight for the first time, sometimes people find this very restrictive and freek out. It seems you did everything right in stopping a panick attack. Maybe focusing on your bubbles will help, or the task at hand, or intentionally think about improving your breathing. If you are not too freaked out to do this again give it a try a few more times. The first time I dove in the North Atlantic I didn't like it. It took about 5 more boat rides before I started to think "hay, this aint too bad". The suggestion to do your AOW locally is a very good approach. You'll get some dives in under similar conditions and it will be under supervision. Good luck!

I can't really reply to your questions but I think its good that you realised what was happening and were then able to control and chill down!
I prefer to think that this is a mixture of your own presence of mind pkus the skills we learn to dive with (a lot of which is about not getting into a panic when somethig odd happens).

Think perhaps the others are right to sound out about the change in locations. I have dived once in Thailand which is different from diving around the UK due to changes in temp and vis..

Best wishes to you.

Here's my take on it:

Zhe_Phil_GO:
First dive, we went down, everything was fine, I looked at my gauge, saw 65 feets**, at this point panic set in, (don’t know why), went up a bit, and needed to hold to something, so toke hold of something of the deck, waited a bit, it passed, everything was cool after that.

I think the panic was partly due to confort level (when you looked at your SPG), partly due to colder water:
colder water usually sets your breathing to a more rapid pace (especially if you don't expect or are not used to it) and if you don't watch that it's easy to move to rapid, shallow breathing (which take you straight to panicking).

I also think that you did the smartest thing to do: stop, hold onto something and wait a bit (breath through it).

Next dive starts; everything is going nice, at 50, near the wreck, again, panic :11: . At that point, I stopped, thought about calling the dive. But rather than calling the dive, decided to chill a bit, and see. Waited one minute or two, and everything was back to normal.

Again, its the same thing: it's a full cycle (which you learn indepth about in Resque courses) going stress/discomfort -> rapid breathing -> more stress and anxiety (not enough air) -> more rapid breathing -> ... -> panic.

One way to break this is to watch your breathing pattern: when it starts to grow uncontrolled, do what you did: stop, wait and relax for however long it's needed; If it doesn't pass in a minute or two, call the dive.

That said, please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt (i'm a newbie myself :confused: ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom