TSA Damaged my gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had issues with scuba but in the past I traveled quite a bit with my parachute container and that always made for exciting diacussions ...
The only times I have ever flown with a parachute with me, I was strapped into an ejection seat. :)

The only times I have ever flown with a parachute with me, I was strapped into an ejection seat. :)

Divers are the most interesting people. Or in my case, the most mundane.

Bad news: you lost some dive gear.

Good news: there wasn't a fire in the baggage hold and a plane crash.
Exactly
TSA idiots... They thought that they were protecting us, but in reality the TSA idiots could have caused a fire.

This is all good to know. I travel with medicine and am no stranger to how TSA can really be rough on kit.

What do you think of using a peli case as a carryon with my regs, comp and other fragile things?
It can't hurt, but keep in mind that pelican cases can get pretty bulky and heavy. I just put my regs in a soft-sided reg case, I wear my dive computer (Shearwater Teric), and put my GoPro and stuff with batteries and charging cables/adapters in my carry-on, wrapped up in a few t-shirts and a spare pair of boardshorts. That's if I feel like checking a bag. Usually I cram everything into an overhead bin compliant bag I have and take it as a carry-on. That includes a 3mm wetsuit, my BCD, regs, booties, other misc. stuff, plus a few shirts and boardshorts. Fins get strapped to the outside. Sometimes I sneak a few things into my wife's bag to help offload some weight and bulk. But I travel pretty light when it comes to clothes, since I'm pretty much in boardshorts 99% of the time I'm in the tropics. I wear shorts and flip-flops on the plane, no matter how cold it is at home (just bring a warm coat and leave it in the car at the airport).

It can't hurt, but keep in mind that pelican cases can get pretty bulky and heavy. I just put my regs in a soft-sided reg case, I wear my dive computer (Shearwater Teric), and put my GoPro and stuff with batteries and charging cables/adapters in my carry-on, wrapped up in a few t-shirts and a spare pair of boardshorts. That's if I feel like checking a bag. Usually I cram everything into an overhead bin compliant bag I have and take it as a carry-on. That includes a 3mm wetsuit, my BCD, regs, booties, other misc. stuff, plus a few shirts and boardshorts. Fins get strapped to the outside. Sometimes I sneak a few things into my wife's bag to help offload some weight and bulk. But I travel pretty light when it comes to clothes, since I'm pretty much in boardshorts 99% of the time I'm in the tropics. I wear shorts and flip-flops on the plane, no matter how cold it is at home (just bring a warm coat and leave it in the car at the airport).

Sometimes I throw my regs in one of those soft thermal lunch boxes. Sometimes just coiled up in my personal item.

I completely agree on packing light for travel. I just don't have the energy to try to dress up this mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom