TSA experiences: Backplate, integrated weights, lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a DSS backplate with the bolt-on weights. I'd like to bring it as a carry-on for an upcoming trip, since it weighs 18 pounds and I'm trying to conserve weight in my checked luggage.

I'm also thinking of carrying 10 pounds of lead because I anticipate using it when snorkeling with a wet suit at a point in the trip when I won't have ready access to a dive shop.

Any experience with the TSA on these items? Their web site is silent on dive weights, and I don't expect they'll recognize a backplate as being a BCD.

The lead my not make it through some security checks.

Backplates, no prob. Wear are you traveling to ? Perhaps you can USPS Air Priority your weights ? "If it fits, it ships". Cheap freight !

I have a DSS backplate with the bolt-on weights. I'd like to bring it as a carry-on for an upcoming trip, since it weighs 18 pounds and I'm trying to conserve weight in my checked luggage.

I'm also thinking of carrying 10 pounds of lead because I anticipate using it when snorkeling with a wet suit at a point in the trip when I won't have ready access to a dive shop.

Any experience with the TSA on these items? Their web site is silent on dive weights, and I don't expect they'll recognize a backplate as being a BCD.

Hope the airline doesn't decide to check the carryon for weight and size. It happens.

I use bolt on plates when I dive a shorty. in fresh water no weights and in salt I use the bolt ons.

You must be taking a dry suit on the trip to need the bolt on plates.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2016 at 08:28 PM ----------

in the gulf I wear a shorty, same as in fresh water. my dss plate uses no weight in fresh and I need a 8# comp for salt water so I use the plates. If not the shorty I would probably wear a lavacore instead of the plates, however I like to be positive when I strip off the kit.

You must be taking a dry suit on the trip to need the bolt on plates.

My plate fits nicely in my carry on to avoid the weight restrictions in the luggage. But I get the red flag and get the bag searched every time. Except the time I accidentally left my knife attached to my harness and plate. That day I made it through 2 checkpoints...go figure.

I always put the most valuable stuff in carry on. Before my Nexus/Global Entry/TSA - precheck days, I'd just take all the stuff out and spread it in a tray. It took extra time, but no one had an issue about it. TSA does not care at all about the weight. Airline might, but if you are traveling with someone else, that is easily circumvented by checking in one at a time. Flying out of Europe is another story. When I flew out of Athens in October, I was over the limit. The airport was basically dead, so I was able to leave second, heavier bag next to someone sleeping. Who knew? :)

I've never had any airline weigh my carry-on. The only people who've ever bothered with it were the TSA (or Mexican equivalent) who were not interested in how much it weighed. I guess if the bag rips the overhead compartment out of the ceiling you might get a hairy eyeball.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom