TSA got you down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is anyone else out there finding the draconian methods being employed by the TSA to be curbing their dive travel? I just canceled a dive trip to Bonaire so that I wouldn't have to submit to state authorized sexual molestation. It's unfortunate that air travel has come to this, I was really looking forward to a couple of big trips I was starting to plan, including Galapagos and Sharm El Sheik.

Now, I'm just going to be limited to where I can get to by car or maybe train.

I'm sure some would question letting such "trivia" keep me from going where I want, but from my perspective, I'm not willing to let politicians, who don't even have to submit to these procedures they're forcing on us, and manufacturers of unproven equipment, make my life hell so someone can make a buck. I don't believe any of these reactionary rules have much to do with safety or security, frankly.

I too have decided that my dive/travel plans will only focus on locations that I can drive to, or take a train, or drive then sail/cruise.

When I left the military I thought the days of intensive and invasive procedures "for necessary reasons" was over. Well, I agree - it is for me too.

Others, you make up your own minds. But I agree with the OP on this one.

And I am afraid that if you look at the TSA's methods they are always fighting the LAST method used, not looking forward to prevent the NEXT attempt.

This is essentially the same as a football defense lining up to prevent the previous play from happening again.

My main complaint about TSA for years was that it was all show. They were confiscating tweezers and nail scissors. Anyone could smuggle a nylon dagger or plastic knife aboard the plane taped to their body. We were really lucky with the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber. It's time to put up or shut up. I wanted it, I got it. I'll draw the line at, bend over and crack a smile:mooner: :lotsalove: :shocked2:.

Their next step will probably be suicide bombers filling up on marble sized pieces of C4 in condoms (like the heroin mules) and swallowing the detonator/timer on the way to the airport. It's time to do like the Israelis and have trained people start talking to people from the time they get out of the car, until they board.

Last edited:
I'm not going to stop traveling to dive destinations, but I am in regular contact with my local congresspeople and and very vocal about these issues to everyone I meet. I'm probably sounding like a broken record to many at this point. But refusing to travel is (IMO) letting "them" win. And I'm sorry to all of the TSA employees, but I am going to make YOU embarrassed to grope me so maybe you'll complain to your bosses or go on strike.

You guys really need to get over yourselves....all we need is an airliner to be blown up, and you'll be begging to be patted down. This last one was close, we can be lucky....

Terrorism has been a problem for airlines and air travelers since the 1970s, when hijackings and bombings became the method of choice for subversive, militant organizations around the world.

Although security at airports has always been tight, the 9/11 attacks woke many people up to a harsh reality -- it wasn't tight enough.

TSA have a job to do, and it involves your safety, let them do it. If I wanted to see naked pictures, there are many other places I will look, infact, yours will never in my list of searches :)

PS. TSA is not pro-active, thus the current "draconian" methods, still better than nothing...in time, they too will learn.

Last edited:
The TSA methods will probably not keep me from traveling. However, I think we need to look toward the practices the Isrealis use.

I returned to Houston from a dive trip to Honduras 10 days ago. I was "scanned" and then.. padded down, and then the guy looked thru my wallet. My carry on was also searched. I politely asked "why?".

I was not given a reason. It was ridiculous.

The problem is that these "security" measures have been found to be completely ineffective. If a terrorist wanted to fill their carry on and personal item with explosives and walk up to the security line, they could take out the hundreds of people standing there, plus collateral as the building collapses and a major transportation hub is out of commission. And we have no measures to prevent that. I'm all for safety if it actually makes my life more safe, but groping at the airports doesn't. I can still bring as many bottles of "contact lens solution" as I want on the plane, when are they going to close that gap?

The problem is that these "security" measures have been found to be completely ineffective. If a terrorist wanted to fill their carry on and personal item with explosives and walk up to the security line, they could take out the hundreds of people standing there, plus collateral as the building collapses and a major transportation hub is out of commission. And we have no measures to prevent that. I'm all for safety if it actually makes my life more safe, but groping at the airports doesn't. I can still bring as many bottles of "contact lens solution" as I want on the plane, when are they going to close that gap?

So, you have a better idea?

I'm sure some would question letting such "trivia" keep me from going where I want, but from my perspective, I'm not willing to let politicians, who don't even have to submit to these procedures they're forcing on us, and manufacturers of unproven equipment, make my life hell so someone can make a buck. I don't believe any of these reactionary rules have much to do with safety or security, frankly.

I noticed in your tag that you are not afraid of terrorists but you are afraid of the TSA. So you think you would consider it safe to fly today if we did not have the TSA? Maybe the reason you are "not afraid of terrorists" is BECAUSE of the TSA and the hellish life they are causing for you?

Yeah...I don't think I would let a trivial matter like this come between me and Bonaire. But your sure showed them didn't ya?

"Israeli security succeeds by questioning every passenger. What is the purpose of your trip? Who packed your bags? Where will you be staying? The security agents are all army veterans (well, nearly everyone in Israel is), have college degrees, and are fired immediately if they make a mistake. They learn psychological profiles of terrorists as well as how to detect things — like the Irish lady traveling to meet her fiance family without him. That don’t smell right."

Not going get the minimum wage TSA agents to that level of competency...hence the current methods. In addition, Israel has about 1/60th of the air traffic we do...and it will not be feasible to undertake that kind of examination in this country.

Back
Top Bottom