• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

TSandM -- Her Greatest Posts

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Mike Boswell, Aug 26, 2015.

1. charlier

charlier Marine Scientist

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Although I generally agree with previous postings, laminar flow accompanying internal waves, as described by Bill, is more appropriate for open water conditions. The thelaminar flow breaks down when the currents (or internal waves) interact with the sea floor topography. For example, if we place velocity sensors across a reef with substantial currents, we it would not be surprising to record substantial changes in the magnitude and direction of the currents. In addition, surface current direction may not always match conditions at depth. Lastly, Akimbo is on the mark, where water is forced through constrictions, currents will substantially change between along a vertical profile in the water column.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    billt4sf and Akimbo like this.
  2. Mike Boswell

Mike Boswell Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Why do we love someone? It's hard to describe: I guess it's because they truly seem to care. In every post, Lynn seemed to care about others, and sharing was her way of showing that. Her posts are just as good to read today as they were many years ago.

3. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I never met her but I have been influenced by her writings to a very significant level. That's how well admired she was by her friends (physical and virtual {thru SB}).

shoredivr and RayfromTX like this.
  4. anchochile

anchochile Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Just chiming in here to say that, as a new diver and new forum member, it seems like every time I search the boards to research gear, technique, or any other random diving-related question, Lynne pops up in the thread. Often her post is the most useful nugget in the whole discussion. What an incredible legacy of clearly-written, easy-to-understand wisdom and advice that I'm sure I'll mine for years as I continue to build my skills and become a better diver.

5. Antarctic-Adventurer

Antarctic-Adventurer Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Completely agree, I often still come across her posts when doing a search and her advice is always spot on. Someone should collect them all together into a pdf document as a tribute to her.

Mike Boswell and Nick Steele like this.
  6. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, and she never "nasty" to anyone. Not that that ever happens on SB.

Compressor likes this.
  7. Neilwood

Neilwood Loggerhead Turtle

Agreed. She always treated every poster the same with a very calm manner.

To anyone wishing to learn how to dive and willing to take the time to read her progression as a diver, it will serve as very good guide as to patience, perseverance and practise. Diving certainly never appeared to come easily to her at the beginning (from reading her blog) but she stuck with it and eventually became a very accomplished diver.

8. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, she did persevere and eventually got Full Cave, besides DM. She was the only one I've heard of on SB or in real life that always did the "official" detailed pre dive buddy check.

Mike Boswell likes this.
  9. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm curious as to which one: GUE EDGE or some other one?

She is an inspiration to all divers as far as I'm concerned.

10. formernuke

formernuke Barracuda

I have been out of the loop for a long time.

What happened??????

I remeber the Borg woman always good information didn't forget what was like to be new to this sport and always gave good advice to newcomers.

billt4sf likes this.