TSandM -- Lynne Flaherty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am speechless. I haven't been active on SB for a while but, whenever I stop by, Lynne's posts have been those I always look for. She was always friendly and helpful, and she always provided first rate information. I had a lot of respect for her. I am so very sorry for your loss Peter.

I am deeply saddened by this news. She will be missed by everyone in this online community and her contributions to SB will continue be appreciated, and continue set a standard for civility, depth of understanding, and helpfulness. I'm especially saddened by the loss sure to be felt by her friends and family.

Peter, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've been unable or maybe unwilling to reply to this post. I felt in replying I was giving up hope for her safe recovery. I spent all day yesterday reading the posts here and watching for updates to the point of obsession.

You see Lynne is one of the main reasons I'm still diving the frigid waters of Puget Sound. Bob (Grateful Diver) asked her to buddy with me when I was having some pretty serious anxiety issues.

I first met Lynne and Peter shortly after my OW class 2.5 years ago. My hubby Coll (kneedeep) asked her if she'd be willing to let me try on some of her gear. In what I now know today as typical Lynne style she said of course - come over any time. So there I am, this brand new diver in the home of strangers trying on all kinds of drysuits, fins, etc. The amount of gear that have in their basement could be enough to open up shop but they both freely lend it out. After trying on several items we went upstairs and I heard about GUE and DIR for the first time. She and Peter were bantering back and forth about it - very funny to watch!

So off I went to order my new drysuit. After about 45 dives I started having anxiety issues after doing a very silly newbie mistake while in the process of taking AOW from Bob. We had a break in the class due to travel schedules and our mid water nav dive was coming up. I decided it was a good idea to practice that skill at 100fsw. Well imagine being pretty new, zero nav skills, mid water no bottom visible at 100 feet! Needless to say I had a panic issue and close to bolted to the surface. I bet you all can imagine what my instructor told me when he returned!! Janney - we NEVER practice a new skill in deep water. We practice those in 20 feet or less!! Ok hand slap accepted, won't happen again.

However from that dive on for several months - actually still ongoing - I suffered a lot of anxiety during dives. Lynne was kind enough to take me on as a buddy without reserve. We met for coffee first so she could understand my issues and we dove through them. I spent time in their pool, hours underwater just hoping to get back to - diving is FUN not work. Well I'm finally getting there but if someone as gentle, skilled, patient as Lynne haden't been there for me I would have given up a sport I love. She also into'd me to other great divers like Kirk to hold my hand when she couldn't dive with me. GOD bless you Lynne! You were my shining dive beacon when I could not see the light. I will always be grateful for your kind guidance given so freely.

Peter thank you for sharing her with me. It was the magic I needed to keep diving. I'll always be grateful to you and I'll cherish my memories with her.

Janney

Peter,

Like so many others on SB I have been completely stunned and greatly saddened to learn of Lynne’s death. I have been a mostly quiet participant on this site for many years, but I have learned a great deal here and Lynne is one of the reasons why. She contributed in a constructive way on every thread in which she posted. Her advice was always helpful, reliable, encouraging, knowledgeable, and friendly. I am truly sorry I never had the opportunity to meet her. I must confess that after I finished my full cave course in Mexico this year I had the fantasy (as an also somewhat older diver) of going to dive there with her one day…

I hope the response here is some consolation to you, seeing the universal outpouring of love, admiration and respect, even from so many like myself who never met her in person. It says so much about the kind of person she was. My condolences to you and your family and friends.

-Seth

I have no words that haven't already been written. Like many I only knew her thru SB but it hit me hard like losing a friend. Godspeed Lynne and prayers for those dealing with her loss

Requiescat in pace.

She will be missed.

DocVikingo

Found this on another of her friends' Facebook page. I had not seen this picture before, but it so captures her that I thought I should share it here ...

11903725_10153503085016590_6507608008090600673_n.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom