TTL Strobes how to fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krigg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have recently made the dip into underwater photography. I had a sony A7III which i LOVE. I went ahead and got a nauticam housing for it. I already have the fiber cables with Z330 strobes on the way. However, I am consider with how the strobes will fire. I am planning to use the strobes in TTL. Do i have to buy something that goes into the housing and connects to the hot-shoe on the camera?
Thank you

The Nauticam trigger for Sony does not (AFAIK) support TTL. For TTL I think you need Turtle or UW technics triggers
Bill

You need one of these:

UW Technics 11075 Optical/Electrical TTL-Converter for Sony (Nauticam Housing NA-A7II, NA-A7RIII, NA-A9)

Reef Photo has AWESOME customer service and tech support, too.

The only other option I know of for using TTL is the Trt S-Turtle trigger. I have the UWT and recently bought the Turtle. I've had excellent support for the UWT. I had very poor interaction with the owner of Trt when trying to get information about the Turtle, so I ended up returning that one for a refund.

Hi!

I'm the proud owner of the above mentioned $450 thingy and the same camera/housing that you have and would like to add advice that screws in the Nauticam housing are sometimes in there *very* tightly and can get stripped pretty easily.

(Please see next post about ideas for how to remove the screw.)

Hi!

I'm the proud owner of the above mentioned $450 thingy and the same camera/housing that you have and would like to add advice that screws in the Nauticam housing are sometimes in there *very* tightly and can get stripped pretty easily.

(Please see next post about ideas for how to remove the screw.)

That is exactly what happened haha.
I got the first set of screws off no problem the second set. stripped first try

That is exactly what happened haha.
I got the first set of screws off no problem the second set. stripped first try

Oh no @krigg! I fixed mine with a torx screwdriver of the right size... the points of the star dug in enough for me to get the screw out! Infiltrated a bit of WD-40 using a tiny paintbrush, let it soak in overnight, then went at it with the little pointy screwdriver. I very much did not want to mail my housing in to get the screw out... and hopefully leaving for trip in 3 weeks so that would have been SO stressful!

I'm going to the dive pool to test it out on Sunday, hopefully! :) Need to lube my O rings and make sure I still remember how to set the thing up!

Any insights about TTL and snoots? I suspect I'll be doing manual when I'm snooted.

An update! The card worked well and I had fewer strobe issues this trip! Strobe brightness was usually good without me having to do much! :) Worth the hassle, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom