ttl with ys 110a fom a sea & sea housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timthefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been thinking about upgrading to a dslr in a sea & sea housing, I already have a ys 110a strobe. my question is , can i connect the strobe to a s & s housing via a sync cord and get ttl? do i need a converter or will the bulkhead circuitry allow ttl as it is a s&s strobe? cheers

You need a Sea & Sea ttl converter "N". In other housings you can use optical ttl with a fiber optic cord and no converter, using the built in flash as a signal, but with Sea & Sea it's either manual strobe setting or use the converter which allows either one or two strobes and can set the two strobes independently. The older "ttl converter III type N" would only set two strobes equally, but the newer version has two dials.

thanks Larry, I'm guessing I'd be ok with the fibre optic cables, although I guess the internal flash firing at full power will eat the batteries. I use an Oly XZ1 which i use the strobe in manual (as no ttl) and set the camera to 1/64 strobe power, it's just enough to fire the strobe

With the fiber optics, you should have no problem doing ttl. You might have a bit longer recycle time while you wait for the camera flash to recycle, but I imagine your batteries should still last a couple of dives. My old SP-350 would go about 3 dives on a battery charge using lithium-ions, but I was using a sync cord and HW ttl converter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom