Tubbataha Tech Liveaboards..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all. Just wondering if there's any such thing. Any liveaboards that go to Tubbataha that allow tech diving and would have 100% O2? I would like to bring my rebreather to dive in the Sulu Sea and maybe some other spots in PI, but Tubbataha would be the main event. Any info would be appreciated, thanks. -Andy

Andy,

Define "tech" - if you only mean nitrox, you're in luck.

Did Tubbataha last month on M/V Tristar for a week. I was diving nitrox throughout the trip, with 5 dives / day.

I figure if they can get nitrox, they should (with warning) be able to get O2.

Hope it helps...

silent running:
Hello all. Just wondering if there's any such thing. Any liveaboards that go to Tubbataha that allow tech diving and would have 100% O2? I would like to bring my rebreather to dive in the Sulu Sea and maybe some other spots in PI, but Tubbataha would be the main event. Any info would be appreciated, thanks. -Andy

If its only O2 you're after there should be no problem. Just make arrangements with your liveaboard to have a couple of medical O2 bottles on board. Remember though that the max pressure is only 1800 PSI in these O2 bottles. You'd also need to bring a transfer whip with you.

thepurplehammerhead:
Andy,

Define "tech" - if you only mean nitrox, you're in luck.

Did Tubbataha last month on M/V Tristar for a week. I was diving nitrox throughout the trip, with 5 dives / day.

I figure if they can get nitrox, they should (with warning) be able to get O2.

Hope it helps...

Hello Larry, thanks for the info. How was the Tristar? How was the diving? How often did they move the boat per day? I'm wonderinng if they will let me do 3 x 100 minute dives, instead of 5 x 60 minute ones like most boats... -Andy

Twomixdiver:
If its only O2 you're after there should be no problem. Just make arrangements with your liveaboard to have a couple of medical O2 bottles on board. Remember though that the max pressure is only 1800 PSI in these O2 bottles. You'd also need to bring a transfer whip with you.

Hello Twomix, thanks for the heads up about the O2 fills. It was that way last time I went to Panglao, too. Do you have any idea what kind of fittings will be on the K bottles of O2? Also, if you know of any PI CCR divers who would be interested in joining me, please let me know. Thanks, -Andy

Andy,

Tristar is a good liveaboard, ac rooms, good galley (sun deck gets cramped when they hoist the tenders up, but the lounge is great).

Diving was as good as I expect to get in the Philippines - i.e. very good indeed. Not quite on a par with Palau, but you pay for that big time, especially on a liveaboard.

I think your plan of 3 x 100min dives won't fly as they do not allow soloing (I asked) and often move between dives.

One last point, on the last day we upped sticks and headed for Jessie Beazley for 3 more dives there (only an hour away). Convince the captain to stay at Tubbataha for those dives and get back to Puerto Princesa an hour later.

JB is not part of the marine sanctuary, and whilst the coral life is good, there is no, repeat no decent sized resident fish life as they have all been put on plates somewhere. Probably Hong Kong :sad:

silent running:
Hello Twomix, thanks for the heads up about the O2 fills. It was that way last time I went to Panglao, too. Do you have any idea what kind of fittings will be on the K bottles of O2? Also, if you know of any PI CCR divers who would be interested in joining me, please let me know. Thanks, -Andy

Unfortunately I don't recall the exact name of the fitting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom