Tulamben and Nusa Penida diving - where to stay, which dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All!

Does anyone have recommendations for where to stay for diving the Liberty Wreck in Tulamben, and Nusa Penida? I've read from these boards that it's best to get to the Liberty Wreck early, to avoid the crowds, but not sure how much that would apply around this time (I'm going to be there between 9/5 - 9/11 - 6 nights). Should I stay a night in Amed so that I can get up early to dive the wreck? I'll be arriving late in the afternoon (around 4PM) the first day, and leaving around the same time on the last day, so I will only have 5 full days there - I figure I can do 3 days of diving, as I want to devote some time to topside activities. I can get a great rate on some hotels in Nusa Dua through a friend who works at Starwood, but not sure if that's too far away from everything. I don't necessarily need to have the most luxurious resort, but something nice and midrange would be nice. Can I stay in Nusa Dua for diving Nusa Penida, or should I stay somewhere else? We would really love to see the Mola Mola and the Manta Rays, so that's a must do, as is the Liberty Wreck, which I've heard is awesome. Ideally, I'd like to do at least 2 or 3 dives at the Liberty Wreck (maybe include a night dive), and maybe do 2 days of diving at Nusa Penida to have a better chance to see the Mola Mola. Any tips and suggestions are highly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance! :cool2:

Hey hope u find this usefull. I suggest u to stay in Tulamben if your objective to catch early morning liberty wreck instead of Amed. Its about 30 mins drive from Amed to Tulamben. Btw , Amed is very beautiful too. I saw these 2 resorts just few steps from the wreck, tauch terminal and mimpi resort. Tulamben is 3hours plus drive from Nusa Dua , so if u go to Tulamben the next morning after your arrival u can do afternoon dive and night dive , stay in Tulamben then liberty wreck dive the next morning, so its 3 dives in Tulamben. Leave Tulamben in the afternoon to Nusa Dua. Stay night in Nusa Dua then next morning pick up to Nusa Penida, 1 hour plus on the boat (depend on the boat of course). I wasn’t lucky last week, no Manta & Mola , current was strong. U can do 3 dives there. So its all is 3 days 6 dives. Not bad , but not enough  (for me). Then u go to Ubud for relaxation the following day. I think stay in Nusa dua is too far, u may be can try Sanur or crowd area at Seminyak.

Hey hope u find this usefull. I suggest u to stay in Tulamben if your objective to catch early morning liberty wreck instead of Amed. Its about 30 mins drive from Amed to Tulamben. Btw , Amed is very beautiful too. I saw these 2 resorts just few steps from the wreck, tauch terminal and mimpi resort. Tulamben is 3hours plus drive from Nusa Dua , so if u go to Tulamben the next morning after your arrival u can do afternoon dive and night dive , stay in Tulamben then liberty wreck dive the next morning, so its 3 dives in Tulamben. Leave Tulamben in the afternoon to Nusa Dua. Stay night in Nusa Dua then next morning pick up to Nusa Penida, 1 hour plus on the boat (depend on the boat of course). I wasn’t lucky last week, no Manta & Mola , current was strong. U can do 3 dives there. So its all is 3 days 6 dives. Not bad , but not enough  (for me). Then u go to Ubud for relaxation the following day. I think stay in Nusa dua is too far, u may be can try Sanur or crowd area at Seminyak.
Hi Aicha - that sounds like a pretty good plan, I'll check out tauch terminal and mimpi resort. Nusa Dua does sound kind of out of the way, so I will check Sanur resorts too. The driving times you gave are very helpful, as the Bali doesn't sound very big, but the driving time can be longer than one would think based on the distances. Thanks for the information! :)

Tulamben Wreck Divers is good, reasonably priced, in town, and directly across from the wreck.
A nicer place, my favorite, is Scuba Seraya, just south of town, and short boat ride from wreck. Extra charge for boat dives though. Their shore dive spot is one of best around.

Hi Kilili -

I was checking out Tulamben Wreck Divers as well, as the reviews for them on Tripadvisor sounded pretty good. Did you dive with them? I was wondering if I should bother bringing my own equipment on this trip, as I'll probably only dive 6 - 8 times, and it seems that the equipment is either included, or very inexpensive with most dive packages. Do they have good equipment? Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I did dive with Tulamben Wreck, 4-5 days?
I bring everything but tanks, so I paid no attention to the gear they have.

Is it there possible to get just a tank and dive in freedom, without having a guide around?

Assume you mean Tulamben Wreck Divers.
Don't know, but the guides are helpful, very unobtrusive. If you are a solo like me, you can pretty much ignore them most of the time if you wish.

Yes, I did dive with Tulamben Wreck, 4-5 days?
I bring everything but tanks, so I paid no attention to the gear they have.
I see, thanks, I might bring my own equipment too unless I find some confirmation on the board that they have good equipment!

Assume you mean Tulamben Wreck Divers.
Don't know, but the guides are helpful, very unobtrusive. If you are a solo like me, you can pretty much ignore them most of the time if you wish.

That sounds nice! What someone told me, pay 7 USD go there and jump in the water any time you want, just sounds too good to be true.
But I have no problem paying more, or having a guide who shows me some nice places......on the 8th September it will be :D

Back
Top Bottom