Tulamben help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I've been reading all the posts for my upcoming trip to Komodo LOB (Nov 30-Dec 6 with Ari Jaya's new boat) and Bali/Tulamben (Dec 7 - 12).

Could you help me with some specific questions for my Bali/Tulamben portion?

1) Is 3.5 days of diving in Tulamben too long? Should I split my time between Tulamben and another place, maybe Padang Bai?

2) I think I'll be staying/diving with Tulamben Wreck Divers. Are there good restaurants in town within walking distance from TWD or should I get TWD's all-inclusive option? I like to eat local fare

3) If I can't stay with TWD (ie: only dive with them), are there cheap housing options in Tulamben (ie: cheaper than or close to TWD's $20 or $30/night rate)?

4) Is there a good spa or massage place in Tulamben?

Thanks for all your help

I love diving in Tulamben, so 3.5 days would not be too long for me. You can also try Seraya for a day - which is not too far away. TWD can arrange diving for you at both Tulamben and Seraya.

It's been more than 5 years since I was last in Tulamben. At the time, there wasn't anything that you could call a "town" within walking distance. Aside from the restaurant at Tauch Terminal and at Mimpi, I recall that there was one restaurant on the opposite side of the road from the beach.

Back then you could get a massage at Tauch Terminal.

Rypark
We're atTulamben for a week 2 weeks ago and not getting bore. Indeed, we dove some locations more than 1. We dove the Liberty early morning 06:30, morning 08:00 and at night. However if you don't want to repeat the same location, Tulamben area incl. Amed has more than enough dive sites and they can also arrange a day trip to Padang Bai or Nusa Penida.

TWD is nice resort, one of my preference. Note their villa is located far from the main building - you'll need scooter or car. There's some restaurant in Tulamben offer good food - try Wayan restaurant not far from TWD. If you can't get TWD, check the following budget/midscale resort.
At the beach you can find Puri Madha (the closest to the wreck), paradise, bali coral and matahari. Opposide of the road: Joe's diving, Deep blue, Ocean Sun ($15 but no AC), on the small road to puri madha there's new nice resort - Liberty resort.
We stayed at Joe's diving and happy with their service.
Tell the resort if you want a massage, they'll get for you a $7 - 10 per hour, the same persons that you may find at more luxury resot such as Scuba Seraya. after 3 dives - all massage are good.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad to hear i can stay at one place and go to other dive areas. But its also good to hear the dive sites in Tulamben will keep me busy. :)

Manuel Sam: unfortunately Tauch and Mimpi are a little out of my price range. but those look like really beautiful resorts.

Wisnu: Wow!! the list of dive ops and restaurant are great. i'll have to check each of those places out. i was a little worried about housing since my trip is getting close at hand. i had heard i could get cheap massages - thanks for the info.

This is the best place for dive info :)

Wayan was our favorite restaurant. There was another decent restaurant just a little further down, east I guess, toward Mimpi on opposite side of the road.

Once a week, Made, one of TWD's guides, puts on a multi course meal at TWD. It was great. I think we tossed in $5 each plus drinks. I hear he gives haircuts, too.

There are multiple sites including Seraya Secrets that will keep you busy for 3+ days. Maybe you will be close to the limit, but every site should be done several times and the wreck should be done many times. Schedule the wreck for a weekday. It gets a little packed on weekends, or else do it early in the day.

hi rypark1999
For local fare in Tulamben, you have to try the local restaurant (Sandyan ?) which is at the same side of the road as TWD, 5 minutes walk towards Tauch. We ate there 3 dinners in a row.
For lunch, you can ask Made to buy the local nasi campur (mixed rice, vegetables and a fried chicken drumstick with the spicy or non spicy Balinese sauce ... yummy). Rp25000.
For Breakfast, you wont go hungry too soon with the hearty TWD breakfast (observe how efficient the ladies are)
TWD is really great and takes you to various dive sites around Tulamben at no extra cost. One other site called Pura Jati (PJ) costs extra as its an hour's drive away - famous for the mimic octopus but we did not do it as it was not planned.
Suggest to do the first wreck dive at 6am (ie be in the water), you will observe the bumphead parrotfish behave very differently allowing you to approach very close while they lie in the sand.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions and the info on TWD's meals.

Wisnu - I'm hoping you could give me a little more help.

I was able to find the websites for Paradise and Matahari. TWD and Paradise have similar costs for the amount of time I'm staying and the amount of diving I'll be doing.

I've read reviews on Matahari and since the rooms are a bit run down/old I'm gonna skip Matahari.

I couldn't find websites for Puri Madha or Bali Coral. However, my Lonely Planet guide shows that Puri Madha rooms are 60,000 Rp (approx U$6) and Bali Coral is 200,000 Rp (approx $20). Puri Madha has a significant price difference with TWD and Paradise (approx $30/nt) Although the LP guide is a little old (published 2007). I'm assuming the room rates have not increased too much. I don't have rates for diving for either place too.

Which resort out of these four (TWD, Paradise, Bali Coral, Puri Madha) would you recommend based upon best quality room and best quality dive guides/DMs?

Thanks again for your help

Hi there,

I'm a little late to this thread but learned to dive in Tulemben and have done about 40 dives there in 5 visits ;-). Wisnu has always great advice ;-). I can add that it is easy/cheap to shore dive if you don't need a guide. I second Puri Madha for nice budget option. Tell them Kathy in California sent you ;-).

It's very peaceful there, not many tourists, some shops are busier than others so just look around. Puri Madha is mellow but bring your own gear & do not rent.

Many places have openings so you could most likely just show up and be fine. There are two decent restraunts in town on the main street and a few smaller ones are around. The town is tiny, no atms and internet is limited as best. For variety in food just go to the other dive shops on the beach.

There are a few fun places to dive - these suggestions should fill three days:

Do at least three dives including a sunrise/night diving on the wreck

The "drop off" is nice around 2pm and if you have a good SAC rate you can cruse back through the coral garden. You can rent a local boat and have them drop you into a drift dive called Alamanda -the boat should cost $10 us. You will drift towards the drop off. Catch another wreck dive ;-).

Have your dive shop arrange a local boat/or car for $10-$20 US and take 3 tanks & a guide to Serya Beach for a day of muck diving.

Overall there is no way you will be bored in three days, but if you find yourself craving something new, catch a car to Padangbai and try to jump a boat to manta point/crystal ridge to hunt for manta/mola mola (if they are in season?)

Have fun!

Last edited:
Rypark
Puri madha and Bali coral does not have website, you may need to call them, or as kathy said just go show - very unlikely you'll not get the room, though the choice may be limited. The rate that you mentioned was for their old no a/c room, a bit rustic. Their new bungallow is nice; don't know the cost; but sure much more expensive.
If I have to choose between TWD or Paradise, I go w/ TWD as long as not their villa. TWD usualy fully booked at high season.
The other alternative is Liberty dive resort Liberty Dive Resort Tulamben Bali Accommodation & Diving Liberty Wreck- this is new resort, not exactly at beach - it's located at road to Puri Madha from main road, less than 100 m from the wreck. I stopped at this resort last month just my daughter Jr. OW pool session w/ Ricardo Thom from Ocean Sun although we stayed at Joe's diving. Liberty is small resort with spacious room, very clean with nice large pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom