Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I discussed the Mount Agung impending eruption with my group and decided to continue on with our trip as planned. 13 of us will be flying to Ambon in November, spending 2nd half of November in liveaboard crossing from Ambon to Sorong. Half of the group will go home afterwards. The rest will continue on to Bali if there is no eruption and tour the south part of the island, including diving in Nusa Penida. If the eruption were to happen covering much wider area and more population needed to evacuate with all the transportation available, then we would cancel the flight to Bali & the whole group would go home together.

I can understand why you would do this, buuuuuuut.....

So far nothing has happened. The volcano has been in the same basic state several weeks now. It could be in the same state for several months, or yes, it could explode tomorrow. If it does erupt, the most likely thing we are to get here in Ubud is ash and power outages, possibly accompanied by a strong earthquake.

I feel very comfortable with our decision to stay in Bali about 20 miles from the mountain. :happywave: The best prediction I saw was that it was a bit more likely to erupt than not, but either is a strong possibility.

If my vacation plan was to spend lots of time in Amed or Tulamben, I would re-think that. If my vacation plan were to fly through Bali to get to Raja Ampat or somewhere else, I would not hesitate (though I would want to know what the plan is if my flight gets delayed either in or out.)

I am in no position to encourage people to come here, but I do think one should realize that the media overstates the risk, as they are in the business of "selling newspapers".

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it. :thumb2:

- Bill

I developed respiratory problems after serving in the military - I'm not exactly sure what I was exposed to, but i took a few seasons off from diving until things settled down. The risk of an eruption and the subsequent ash cloud (and the makeup of the ash) isn't really worth it. I'm in my 30s and there are a ton of places to travel. A couple hundred bucks in change fees and one dive shop deposit are sunk costs.

Also, my insurance company said the eruption isn't "unexpected or unforeseen" anymore. So if I choose to travel then the trip interruption component is basically invalidated.

Last edited:
I am landing Bali this coming thursday and doing my second trip to Komodo the following week of 16th.
I am praying it stays put and doesn't burn my vacation in molten lava ...

P

I am landing Bali this coming thursday and doing my second trip to Komodo the following week of 16th.
I am praying it stays put and doesn't burn my vacation in molten lava ...

P

Hopefully your prayer is answered like these Balinese priests did. But just stay far away from Mount Agung:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/hindu-priests-climb-volcano-mount-agung-bali-indonesia-eruption-scientists-a7980721.html?amp
IMG_6411.jpg

I discussed the Mount Agung impending eruption with my group and decided to continue on with our trip as planned. 13 of us will be flying to Ambon in November, spending 2nd half of November in liveaboard crossing from Ambon to Sorong. Half of the group will go home afterwards. The rest will continue on to Bali if there is no eruption and tour the south part of the island, including diving in Nusa Penida. If the eruption were to happen covering much wider area and more population needed to evacuate with all the transportation available, then we would cancel the flight to Bali & the whole group would go home together.

That makes a lot of sense to me, Dan. And if the thing explodes and ruins your trip, you can blame me :)

Been sitting here the better part of three weeks with Agung threatening to explode, and .... nothing. That doesn't mean there won't be something, but like I said before, as long as people are flexible about where they go, and they can handle the possibility of re-routing plane flights or delays either direction, it makes sense to me.

If you have a pre-existing breathing problem that could be exacerbated by volcanic ash particles, that's another matter.

Personally, I'm loving Bali sans tourists :)

- Bill

The warning level for Mt Agung has now dropped from a level 4 to a level 3. Exclusion zone is now back to 7km’s from 12.
I’m guessing the dive shops in Tulumben will be back up and running pretty quickly, I know quiet a few had moved down to Amed, Padangbai, Lembongan etc.
Amed is all go and has been right the way through.
I know the locals from that area are really suffering and need the tourism to bounce back ASAP.
Be back in Amed next week..can’t wait to get back over

I fly in Sunday currently scheduled to dive Amed on Tuesday as last update a couple of days ago was tulamben closed will update once I know.

I've been following this situation closely purely because my friend has his dive business there.

Tulamben is back open for diving

Of course they still have tough times ahead, for one he has to re-located all his equipment inc compressors and blending gear he removed to keep it safe. He's also got 60 staff to take care of. The government have given permission not to pay employees - but that's not his style so he's keeping them on albeit on reduced hours until things pick up.

The best thing we as divers can do, is go support the businesses in Bali

We just finished a Bali Safari with The Underwater Tribe. At the end, we were told that 30% of our tips would go to help out the Tulamben shops and people, and were given the opportunity to add in more if we wanted. Most did.

Hey hey,
As a latest update, Tulamben is now open and for the past week we have increased our scuba trips there all the way up to our normal operations, daily trips. All dive centers now operate Tulamben, restaurants are open, hotels and hostels as well ... we're back in business :)

Worth mentioning, Amed has been open all this time but of course, USS Liberty wreck remains the main attraction in the area.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom