Tulsa X-pert Zoom Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Forgive me for my ignorance but I am a newbie to the sport of diving. I'm taking my certification classes in August but I wanted to buy some items in advance online. (Before y'all flame me, my LDS doesn't sell splits. I asked.) I did some reasearch and I just purchased a pair of these fins:
Fins.jpg

Can you please explain to me why they they are rated for "advanced divers"?

Thanks!

(yes this is me ---:dork2:)

The black TUSA split fins are a little stiffer than the other color TUSA Split fins I've been told. for moving heavier divers or divers with more drag, such as a drysuit.

Maybe that's why. Otherwise, it is most likely just "marketing" BS by TUSA.

HI green_passion-
Congrats on taking the leap and getting certified! The black SF-8 fins are a stiffer compound called HBK that has more snap than the standard SF-8 colors. Not sure where the "advanced" rating information came from, but it could be a translation issue, our website has info on the fin HERE.
Best of luck and enjoy the X-Pert Zooms.

HI green_passion-
Congrats on taking the leap and getting certified! The black SF-8 fins are a stiffer compound called HBK that has more snap than the standard SF-8 colors. Not sure where the "advanced" rating information came from, but it could be a translation issue, our website has info on the fin HERE.
Best of luck and enjoy the X-Pert Zooms.

Thank you so much for the information. :)

I have one more question for you, how can you tell the difference between just the Black or the HBK Black?

hey whats up, I just recently signed up for diving certification classes and went ahead and got the tusa xpert zooms, I cant say I have alot of experience with fins but I feel like they are really working out for me, I have been doing quite a bit of free diving with them and i have been doing this in a local river. ive had no problems keeping up with the current or anything and they seem to be very energy efficient. I was worried about them being too flimsy but once in the water i really liked them. i also tried my friends new aqualung torques (i think thats what they are called) and they were just killing my ankles, his have an adjustable firmness setting but even on its lowest setting they were tough for me to use, his are not split fins and he was having touble keeping up with me so i dont see any problem with the xpert zooms. just thought id ad my opinion from noob to noob, laters

Fins like any other piece of gear is loved by some and not by others.

Splits require a "modified" method of finning. Personally, I have a set of spits and I used them twice and have never put them on again. I found them lacking against a good current. However, if they work for you then Hoorah and enjoy them.

Safe diving.

hey whats up, I just recently signed up for diving certification classes and went ahead and got the tusa xpert zooms, I cant say I have alot of experience with fins but I feel like they are really working out for me, I have been doing quite a bit of free diving with them and i have been doing this in a local river. ive had no problems keeping up with the current or anything and they seem to be very energy efficient. I was worried about them being too flimsy but once in the water i really liked them. i also tried my friends new aqualung torques (i think thats what they are called) and they were just killing my ankles, his have an adjustable firmness setting but even on its lowest setting they were tough for me to use, his are not split fins and he was having touble keeping up with me so i dont see any problem with the xpert zooms. just thought id ad my opinion from noob to noob, laters

Thank yo soo much for the information. I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend in my first pool session.:14:

I own and dive the zooms and they ROCK! I don't know about this advanced diver biz but suffice to say they move you through the water well and are easy on the legs. best fins I ever bought.

Hey TUSA, how about a sticker for the dive box?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom