Tulum Area or Cozumel for a mixed group of divers and non divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

We are a group of divers plus a few non-divers considering a Mexico trip in April 2015. Right now we are considering either staying at Scuba Club Cozumel or renting villas near Tulum. SCC caters to divers and is all-inclusive, which is nice, but some feel there would be more for the non-divers to do near Tulum.

So, what is there for non-divers to do in Cozumel once they've walked around town, hit the bars, and done some shopping?

Has anyone had experience renting a villa near Tulum? I believe we would rent cars in Cancun and drive to Tulum. We'd also have to buy groceries rather than having meals provided. (Yes, some of us are lazy...) What about recommendations for dive ops near Tulum?

Thanks!

P. S. I'm one of the lazy divers so I am leaning towards SCC.

We are doing our second mixed group trip to Puerto Aventuras this December. We have used the Catalonia all-inclusive and worked with Dive Aventuras to set it all up. The resort is very pleasant for non-divers, with a lovely beach and snorkeling. It's easy to set up day trips to the Tulum ruins, or the Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve. There are restaurants and bars with music in the enclosure (but outside the resort). There are also fishing charters and day boats. It's a pretty nice place.

Check out Soliman Bay. It's just a few minutes north of Tulum and it's beautiful. A nice sized bay ringed with rental homes and villas of various sizes. You'd get a car at the airport, get some groceries in Tulum at Chedraui, head back to the bay and enjoy your holiday! The bay itself is wonderful for snorkeling - not more than 12 feet deep all the way out to the barrier reef at the opening. Filled with turtles! There is at least one restaurant there, and of course, all of Tulum's amenities are just a few minutes away.

Dive shops in Tulum - there are lots. My recommendation would be Infinity 2 Diving. It's a fairly new dive shop run by a couple of English instructors. Lovely young ladies! Infinity2 Divers | Cavern Diving | PADI Courses

Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide.

kari

We stayed at The Royal all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen it is right next to the fairy to Cozumel and there is plenty to do for non divers. Several good dive ops walking distance from the resort.

We are doing our second mixed group trip to Puerto Aventuras this December. We have used the Catalonia all-inclusive and worked with Dive Aventuras to set it all up. The resort is very pleasant for non-divers, with a lovely beach and snorkeling. It's easy to set up day trips to the Tulum ruins, or the Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve. There are restaurants and bars with music in the enclosure (but outside the resort). There are also fishing charters and day boats. It's a pretty nice place.

We go to PA every December, for all of these reasons. First couple of times, we stayed at the Catalonia, now we rent a condo down by the marina. Still dive with Dive Aventuras, because of their awesome folks, great location, and professional approach to diving. Don't forget places like Xcaret, or a day trip to PDC.

Thanks for the info! After some group discussions last night we are looking into renting a villa in Puerto Aventura and we will check out Dive Aventuras because they will be close by.

We do plan on at least one day of cenote diving but we're wondering what the local ocean diving is like. We've all been to Cozumel so we are not planning to dive there this trip. Of course, we can ask the local dive operators, but I'd like to hear from other divers who have been there. What should we expect? How does it compare to Cozumel? (We all dive Monterey frequently so we'll be enjoying the warm and clear water wherever we end up diving in Mexico!
:)​)

OP -- If you use Dive Aventuras please say "Hi" to Mike and Nils from Lynne and Peter.

I liked my dives in Cozumel but, in reality, I think the ocean diving in the Puerto Aventuras area is almost as good but generally with less current. The diving is also not as deep so dive times may tend to be a bit longer.

Let's face it, diving in warm clear water is just cheating and fun.

Thanks for the info! After some group discussions last night we are looking into renting a villa in Puerto Aventura and we will check out Dive Aventuras because they will be close by.

We do plan on at least one day of cenote diving but we're wondering what the local ocean diving is like. We've all been to Cozumel so we are not planning to dive there this trip. Of course, we can ask the local dive operators, but I'd like to hear from other divers who have been there. What should we expect? How does it compare to Cozumel? (We all dive Monterey frequently so we'll be enjoying the warm and clear water wherever we end up diving in Mexico!
:)​)

We love the PA diving because of all the lush growth on the reefs, good fish populations, the occassional "trophy" sighting (turtles, sharks - My group saw a free-swimming Bull Shark a couple of years ago, morays, etc.), and as pointed out, reasonable depths meaning longer bottom times, and very little current.

Your surface intervals will be back to the Marina, as most of the dive sites are close by. We usually go back to the dive shop, but take a stroll around the dolphin pens on the way.

I haven't done a lot of salt water diving in the area, but I'd say the reefs are as lush as Cozumel, but the structure isn't as dramatic. Currents were milder, which I prefer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom