Tulum or cozumel in august? (hurricane problems)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ls1dreams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is august too close to hurricane season? I believe september is the peak hurricane season in most of central america / caribbean. Not sure how risky it would be to do a trip in August.

Also not sure if the Tulum cenotes would be affected, or only cozumel which has coastal exposure.

We're going to Coz for the month of August - I don't care about the weather LOL. It seemed most bad weather was later and August wouldn't be so bad.....

I don't see how los cenotes would be affected.

We went to Costa Rica in August and we were amazed that the plane made it there, due to the intense storms we were in. It was not a hurricane or cyclone, just a storm. It did not affect the diving. In any case I think I'd get trip insurance in any month during hurricane season.

The fact that it is technically hurricane season does not mean hurricanes are particularly likely. Take a look at the history of the area and see how many (or, rather, how few) have come during those years. I know people have a similar fear of going to Florida during hurricane season, but until last year's hurricane, Florida had gone something like 15 years without one.

I would not hesitate to plan a trip there during that period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom