Trip Report Turkey: Bodrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually you could do a liveaboard on a Gulet type of boat for a similar itinary (bit more south): Home | J-Dive Sailing Cruises (Diving-Yoga-Blue Cruise-Free Diving)

THAT would have been super fun too!
But my travel buddy is not an avid diver. She snorkeled at some of our stops but that was it.
We actually got quite lucky for this trip. The gulet actually berths 8 guests. Because of covid, it was cut down to 4. Then the other 2 pax cancelled so my friend and I had the entire boat to ourselves, private cabins and the 3 crew members. !!! AIEEEE

Are the WWI wrecks in Gallipoli reachable by recreational divers? I didn't even think of diving when I was visiting Turkey--it just didn't occur to me--but certainly WWI wrecks, and now you mention the abundance of nudibranchs, catch my interest.
Few are accessible to sport divers but it is a bit complicated to organize if you are coming from abroad. Most of the diving is organized by the dive centers/clubs from Istanbul or other large cities. They will charter a dive boat for the whole weekend so in order to hook up with them, you need to be in their mailing list. There used to be very few charter boats permanently present at the location, mostly weekends only and in summer, as there is not much of local dive tourism.
I did dive HMS Majestic, Lundy, several ANZAC landing barges, water desalination boat and many other non war related wrecks. Most interesting ones such as Triumph, Bouvet, Irresistible are off limits to sports diving. I would be interested to dive those some day as Majestic has been already through couple of rounds of salvaging so it is quite scattered. The ones in deep water are suppose to be untouched. Full list:
ÇANAKKALE SAVAŞLARI GELİBOLU TARİHİ ALAN BAŞKANLIĞI

THAT would have been super fun too!
But my travel buddy is not an avid diver. She snorkeled at some of our stops but that was it.
We actually got quite lucky for this trip. The gulet actually berths 8 guests. Because of covid, it was cut down to 4. Then the other 2 pax cancelled so my friend and I had the entire boat to ourselves, private cabins and the 3 crew members. !!! AIEEEE
That sounds amazing, I actually had the blue voyage trip in my todo list, reading your report has motivated me, I will see whether I can manage it this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom