turning a swift water drysuit into a scuba drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
im in need of a new drysuit. I plan to use it for open water dives were it is at little risk of abrasion or nasty chemicals and such. but as funding for a new suit is a bit low at the moment, ive been wondering:
could i add valves to a swiftwater drysuit to make it scuba worthy? has anyone done this with success? are there safety hazards im not thinking of?
i use a swiftwater suit at my fire dept that is very similar to the construction of a bilam scuba version and the wrist/neck seals do a great job. Ive seen these online for a few hundred bucks. Ive also seen inflator and exhaust valves that are easy to install at home that are around a hundred bucks. Makes sense to me that i could put them together and get a cheap/no bells and whistles scuba ready drysuit.

From what I have seen the cut of the suit is different.

Look at a custom suit from Seaskin, pretty good exchange rate right now with an already low price.

i did not go the DIY route. i found a used but good drysuit for $300. if anyone else does diy i'd still like to hear about it though.

Back
Top Bottom