Tusa Platina SF-5x fin reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weiVA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have any sites or anyone had experience with the Tusa Platina SF-5x fins? I'm trying to decide between those and the Scubapro Jet fins. Main characteristics I'm looking for (in order of preference) : power, maneuverability, ease of scissor kicking.

I'm hoping the rigid sides will make the SF-5x's not feel 'gutless' like many soft rubberlike fins.

HI wieVA,
Not an impartial reply however, several of our staff including a 6'6 300lb guy uses the SF-5x's and won't use any other fins. They are unlike anything else on the market and provide fantastic propulsion even in the toughest conditions or currents. You simply can't kick out of these fins and they are highly responsive. You can't go wrong and in comparison to the jet fins these are hands down better in comfort, performance and won't degrade like std rubber.

Why didn't TUSA make these fins to fit a larger foot size instead of stopping at a size 13? I was sold on these fins and was ready to replace my Jets with a pair but with my drysuit boot and just my reg. wetsuit boot at a size 14 they just won't work. Are there any plans to make them for a size 14+?

Finally got to use my new SF-5x's. Prior to buying these I tried out:

Scubapro Veloce Club: my default, good overall. 1.2'/kick cycle.
Scubapro Jet fins: incredible thrust, foot pocket too wide for my foot.
Scubapro Twin Jets: couldn't find a kick style that didn't cause me to cramp. Caused soot out on a wreck dive.
Mares Volo Power: too little resistance, lost thrust.
several other fins from various other divers I've come across....

Love these Tusa's.

Fit: For my size 7 5mil wetsuit boots, the foot pocket is a little deep, but allows my foot to stay really secure. Fin strap doesn't have a loop like my Veloce's so it's a bit harder to take the fins off. I end up unbuckling.

Power: I haven't been back to the quarry yet to measure kick cycles. Finished my 800m stamina test in 12 min 35 seconds with these. Didn't even feel tired. Don't have a comparison using my default fins, yet.

Maneuverability: Like other poly fins, I can turn on a dime and instantly kick. Feels good.

Kick styles: These fins felt great when I used frog kicks and flutter kicks.

I'll update this thread with more scientific/quantitative measurements as I get them.

Edit: BTW, pictures do not do these fins justice. The silver/black look much better in person and I've gotten many compliments already.

Back
Top Bottom