TUSA v. Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by herman

That adds up to $793

I think your over estimating a bit. For less than $600 CND (~$450 USD) I could put together a BP/Wing/Harness. Thats for Halycon and the price would go down building your own harness and/or getting a BP elsewhere.

Granted I havent added on the weight pockets, sta or backpad. However; the sta is unneccisary for the halycon rig, as they have slots in the bp and wing to acomidate some cam bands; many people feel the abc pockets are.. junk and a regular weight belt along with the weight of the bp is more than adiquate; backpad is not needed, since a stright bp is more than comfortable. Adding an STA which helps get even more weight off the belt, and lets you use dive right, oms, etc bp's does add a bit more to the price.

I don't think you can't find good prices, I just beleive your getting to many bells you don't need.

But can vouch for the Zeagle stuff. It really is great stuff. A buddy recently had an issue with his Ranger needing re-stitching and Zeagle had it back to him within a week. My Ranger never needed anything and looked brand new after a year of avid diving.

~Marlinspike

Have they added many features over the past couple of years on the Zeagle?

The TUSA sales rep. for Florida and a part of the Caribbean came into our LDS on Wednesday and basically came out and said that TUSA's bread and butter are their mask, fins and snorkels. They don't take regulators and BCDs to seriously.

I agree with Ed that Tusa has some great products (my Hyperdry snorkel is the 3rd of its kind I have bought; all my others did not measure up), but Tusa BCs, I never see them on the beach.

Here's why I am glad that the bas#$d who stole my gear got my Ranger:

1) darn thing trapped air. Had to have my buddy invert me & shake me out to dump. Real dignified.

2) The "perpetual annoyance" weight-dumping rip-cord is such a bi#$% to re-thread that I resisted dumping even when it would be a good idea.

3) If u miss a grommet on the re-thread, your weights will slip thru & dump themselves.

4) The pockets are hard to reach.

Here were the good things: 2 tank straps, a chest strap, custom color stripe on side, some metal D-rings, looks like a tough guy. For the price, you can find these features elsewhere. I don't miss the stupid thing & have resolved not to get caught up on the bandwagon next time "everybody" is buying something.

I have the Zeagle Ranger, and the little lady has Zeagle Zena. We both love our Zeagle's, but only complaint is on the Zena, there is no real pocket, the pockets are for the wts, so if you have anything in there, and have to pull the cord to ditch the wts, so does the items in that pocket. But my Ranger has pockets, so I carry anything that needs to stay with us.
Ranz

MartiniTime,

Why would you have a need to "reload" the zipcord system over and over? I am assuming that you mean restringing or rethreading it. I have a Ranger that has at least 80 dives or so on it and I have never had to pull the cord, matter of fact, it still is factory rigged. I have had anywhere for 8 to 20 lbs of lead in the BC with no problems. I use the small weight pouches and just unzip the weight pocket to install or remove them. I have seen a couple of post where people had mentioned having to rethread the ripcord multiple times, I just can't understand why they are pulling the cord in the first place.

I generally dive with a TUSA Liberator BC that I bought used in 1995. While I am looking for a new BC (just because I'd like something "new" :) I have been very satisfied with my BC. It's nothing fancy certainly but I've had it on all kinds of OW dives from 10 feet to 100 feet, night/day, boat/shore. No complaints. As I try out some new BCs, maybe I'll ask myself "what were you thinking?" Who knows? But I can say that I've never had a BC related issue come up so far. That all said, I do agree that I don't really see alot of other people with TUSA BCs. Whatever all that's worth.

Back
Top Bottom