TUSA Visualator, Black or Clear Silicone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at TUSA masks at my LDS today. I own a TUSA Viso Tri-X and dove it once last year and I like it. It's a clear silicon mask.
I like the vision of the Visualator mask somewhat better. I am torn between the black silicone and the clear. I am not a photographer, nor do I plan to be one. I haven't owned a black shirted mask in over 25 years. I've dove the clear silicon masks since my OW checkout in early '80s.
However, I've noticed that alot of divers have gone to the black silicone large single lens aviator style masks. What are the real advantages to both the black and clear silicone?
I like the large lens that the Visualator has and the relatively low volume for easy of clearing.

I do most of my diving on weekends in a lake with 15-20ft. vis, on a good day. A few trips to Florida during the summer for beach diving if I'm lucky.
I am looking for great comfort and great vision in the Visualator I pick.
What do you recommend?

THANKS!

Hi Borg-
Thanks for your question. We recommend buying both and using 1 for a backup! :wink:

Unfortunately, the decision is yours and we recommend trying both clear and black on at your local retailer and deciding which you prefer. Each will be identical in fit, quality and vision - only the black skirt will slightly limit your peripheral vision over the clear with the M-14 design. Best of luck, either choice will be a great one.

I like'em with clear skirts! Oh wait...we are talking about masks....:D

Black if you are a photo buff (cuts down on the glare coming in through the side of the mask) or if you don't rinse them often and have stuff growing in them that might make it difficult to pass the agriculture inspection at customs (been there , done that:D).

For the best peripheral vision, general diving - clear is nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom