TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - April 28 - May 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Final days leading up to Chamber Day 2019, so things are jumping here at Chamber Day HQ, which means this will be brief . . .

CHAMBER DAY 2019 IS WEDNESDAY - We have a few spots left on the Asante and the Bottom Scratcher (which is subbing for the Cee Ray which now has a Coast Guard issue). Ch-Eve is closed down as we have to give the count to the caterer so everyone can get fed. But there's still time to sign up for the Flying Dutchman, donate to the Chamber Challenge, or buy a t-shirt (which can be shipped to you). Our Chamber needs YOUR support and if you haven't joined us already, we hope you'll do so in the coming days leading up the to event. Here's the link: CHAMBER DAY 2019 .

THE SCUBA SHOW FOLLOWS CHAMBER DAY - We'll get a whopping 48 hours breather and then it's on to the Long Beach Convention Center for the annual Scuba Show, Saturday & Sunday, May 4 & 5. There's plenty of stuff to see and things to do. The seminars are always useful, informative, and fun, and I'll be giving two of them this year. On Saturday at 4PM, I team up with Coroner Capt. John Kades and Chamber Director Karl Huggins as we present "Why Divers Die" (in Seaside 1), our annual review of the L.A. County scuba fatalities for the previous year. Things lighten up a bit on Sunday at Noon as my second talk is "The World's Largest Fish in Your Face: Swimming With Whale Sharks at Isla Mujeres" (in Seaside 7) which is all about how you can face down these fabulous creatures. Hopefully we'll see you at one of these seminars or wandering around the show floor.

TUNA CRABS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE - At least at Redondo/Vets Park it seems, as well as some other places. They seem to litter the bottom, both day and night, in the 50-60' range. Not sure how long this will last but keep an eye out for me to plan an outing once we get past this weekend. Looks like it's something we ought to go see in person. Here's a short clip of them posted by Robert Holbrook of Signature Scuba: Tuna Crabs.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, hope to see you Wednesday evening, and let's go diving soon
(once I recover from Chamber Day) . . .

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom