TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - August 4-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
These four things were true at Dodger Stadium Sunday afternoon:
1. It was really HOT (we were in the sun the entire time).
2. Combination of bad pitching and good hitting on both sides.
3. Some HORRIBLE umpiring calls, including "out-of-the-basepath".
4. What an amazing finish . . . YET AGAIN!!!
url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F57f3b309701%2F8a86a27f-2892-4398-ab45-126b79bc84ec.jpg
---
url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F57f3b309701%2Fd9a13ae9-4eba-46ca-9a17-f00acb10ef50.jpg

On to diving . . .

SURF'S UP AT THE BEACH BUT AVALON WAS OK - I didn't hit the sand but it looked like from the Redondo cams that the surfers were happier than the divers this weekend from a shore-based standpoint. However, Buck had a group over in Avalon at the UW Park Saturday and reports 30-50' viz depending on where you were, with 68º in the shallows and a bit chillier below the thermocline at 30 feet. He didn't personally spot any GSBs but others did. However, he did mention some strong currents due to the high tidal swings this week. But, that's all part of diving SoCal.

NAVIGATION CLASS REMINDER FOR THIS SATURDAY - It's scheduled for Redondo (Vets Park) so it's somewhat weather -dependent. The good thing is that even if Vets is not diveable, we can still do all the land stuff which involves running out-and-backs and triangles and squares and stuff like that, and then simply do the dives another day. Also - for good or for bad - I've got Hollywood Bowl tix for Friday night so do NOT want to start early Saturday morning. It'll be an 11AM meeting time which should get us done - assuming we can dive - around 2PM. Also, the early divers generally are leaving around 11AM, so hopefully we can snag their spaces if parking is at a premium. If you want to join us for this, make sure you call us at 310/652-4990. It's a good little informal class that will give you some more confidence in your navigational abilities and skills.

REMAINING VACATION TRIPS THIS YEAR - In case you missed it or the first link didn't work (we had to update it mid-week), this is the link to the Indonesia trip report, which can then take you to all the picture and video links as well: INDO 2019. We've cancelled the August Isla Mujeres trip (no one signed up), but our Maldives trip in October and our Cabo Pulmo trip in December are not only happening, but both are sold out. (Yay!!!) I'm starting to work on things for next year and trying to do the usual balance between new places and spots we frequent where some of you have said, "I want to do that with you next year." So I think we'll have Yap (10-day Yap Immersion version) and Indonesia back on the sked. Maybe we'll think about Grand Cayman or Grand Bahama since we haven't been there in a while. I'm doing a FAM (industry jargon for "familiarization") trip to Atlantis Dive Resorts in the Philippines in late January (both Puerto Galera and Dumaguete - land-based for each) so I'm not sure if the Philippines would make it back on to the 2020 sked or not. The whole schedule is always a chess match and guessing game anyhow, between juggling the available schedules and trying to pick destinations that you all collectively might be interested in seeing. Always an art, never a science.

EUREKA!!! THEY FOUND IT!!! - Here's something you don't hear every day: New coral reefs have been discovered. They're in Mexico near the state of Vera Cruz and environmentalists describe them as a "coral corridor" that they're asking the Mexican Government to protect. You can read all about it in this link: NEW MEXICAN CORAL REEFS.

SHARK WEEK THOUGHTS? - I didn't watch it as I mentioned last week but wondered if any of you did and what your impressions were. E-mail me if you want to share.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Ken, I think you meant to write Shark "Weak"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom