TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - Jan. 31 - Feb. 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Socorro, Avalon, Sea Lions, & more
(please scroll down for details)

Where has the month gone? Am I the only one to think January flew by rather quickly?

TRIP REPORT & PIX - You're getting inundated with stuff from me tonight. You should have already received the February newsletter, which is actually the Socorro trip report. You should have also received a separate e-mail that gives you the links to the report (on the website - different format), the pix on SmugMug, and the video on YouTube. And now this issue of TWARS. You all know my favorite format is All-Ken-All-the-Time so hopefully this isn't Ken-Overload for you today. But it was a really great trip, the COVID protocols weren't too daunting (and more importantly - they seemed effective), and we had a great time. We're also going back in March of 2022 for those who'd like to plan ahead.

AVALON CONDITIONS TODAY - Buck was over at the Park today and reports it was very uncrowded (maybe 20 divers - awfully light for a Sunday), 58º water, 30-40 viz, no GSBs, but the tides were high so entries/exits were easy.

AVALON WEDNESDAY - We have it skedded but I'm 50/50 about going. I have one person interested so far but it also looks like we'll have a small rain system moving through Tuesday night and into Wednesday and sometimes that mucks things up. But if you're interested, let me know. We'll make a decision by Tuesday at 3PM.

ZOOM SEEKERS IN FEBRUARY - Mark your calendar for Tuesday, February 9, 7:30-9:00PM as we have the next of our monthly Zoom Seekers meetings with guest speaker Jeff Bozanic. Jeff will be talking about "Diving in Antarctica" and the best part of this is not only will it be interesting and unique, but you also won't freeze your tuchus while listening!!! I will send out a separate link for Jeff's talk next week in TWARS. Hope to have you join us.

JELLYFISH PROPULSION - If you're interested in reading a slightly wonky paper about how jellyfish have adapted to efficiently swimming in the open ocean - might have some application to divers kicking against currents and the like - check out this link: JELLYFISH PROPULSION.

SURFING SEA LIONS - About two weeks ago, we had a big swell move through the area. And while you'd expect the surfers to go excited about this, who'd have thought the sea lions would be jazzed about the big waves as well? Turns out a documentary crew out at Santa Barbara Island caught some of the action: SURFING SEA LIONS. (Thanks to Layne Ballard for forwarding the link.)

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, wear your mask, wash your hands, and let's go diving soon.

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom