TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - March 1-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Yes, it's THAT time of the year again . . .

CHAMBER DAY/EVE 2020 IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Well, not fully open because our on-line payment pages won't be up and running until late Tuesday, but you get the idea. As you may know, Reef Seekers for years has served as Chamber Day HQ and we're in that role again this year. We're an official sponsor of the Cee Ray, we love having you on the Flying Dutchman, we've got a table at Chamber Eve, and we hope you'll join us in making direct contributions to the Chamber Challenge. For those who are not familiar with this event, which is the major fund-raiser for the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber, you can find out more by going to www.chamberday.org. The event date is Wednesday, May 6, and you may hear more about it from us every now and then over the next two months . . .

DIVERS DAY IS COMING SATURDAY 3/14 AT THE AQUARIUM OF THE PACIFIC - All you need to do is show your certification card and you get in for FREE!!! That saves you $35. In addition to all the regular delights that the Aquarium has to offer, there will be a number of organizations with informational and display tables in the Great Hall (both Chamber Day and the Chamber itself will have tables), there will be some special demonstrations, and we'll show four special dive-related videos throughout the day on the walls of the Great Hall. It's a fun day, you just show up (no need to pre-register), and enjoy yourself. Also make sure to get your parking ticket validated to get the special Aquarium rate of $8.

PEACE OUT - In a move that sent some shock waves through the local dive community a few days ago, Peace dive boat owner Eric Bowman and his wife Angie are retiring effective June 1 this year. Eric says he's been having some health issues for the past year and it's time to focus on that instead of looking for god dive spots. Eric hopes to find a buyer for the boat but if that doesn't happen, then all operations will cease as of June 1. You can read the full text of their announcement here: PEACE DIVE BOAT.

And now for some more joyful news . . .

SEA LION PHOTO-BOMBERS - I've been photo-bombed by sea lions before, but never like this guy in British Columbia. These pix will put a smile on your face: SEA LIONS READY FOR THEIR CLOSE-UP.

SWIMMER & ORCAS SHARE THE WATER - This one will blow your mind but also underscores that many times, the animals are just as curious about us as we are about them. A woman was swimming just off the coast of New Zealand in what appears to be somewhat shallow water. And then three Orcas came by. They joined her. Oh my did they join her. And amazingly, a guy on the beach had launched his drone and was able to shoot the entire encounter. Take a peek as it'll be two minutes of your time well-spent. And ask yourself what YOUR reaction would have been when at the 40-second mark, the large one not only comes alongside, but cuts in front. Pretty amazing: SWIMMER & ORCAS.

AVALON DATE CHANGE - If any of you were interested in Avalon this weekend, please note that I've changed it from Saturday to Sunday as I was given some prime Lakers tickets for Friday night (center court, 10th row) and I want to enjoy the game without worrying about an O'Dark:30 wake-up call the next day.

VOTE!!! - I don't care who you're puling for, it's important to have your voice heard. You've got until end of the day Tuesday.

AND FINALLY - This is not at all dive-related but I'm pretty safe in thinking most everyone here is an animal-lover and this will simply make you laugh, while also dispelling any notions you might have had about having a baby elephant as a pet: MOYO.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom