TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - October 15-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Eclipses, Lobsters, Gobies, and more
(please scroll down for details)
Hope you saw the heavenly show on Saturday morning . . .

ECLIPSE REPORT - It wasn't a total eclipse (next one of those is April 8, 2024, and yes, I'll be attending in Dallas) but it was still more interesting than I expected. If you were in the path of maximum coverage, you saw the "Ring of Fire" which is when the moon obscures a little less than 100% of the sun and what you are left with a thin, glowing ring of sun around the outline of the moon. We didn't get that. What we got was a partial eclipse where about 80% of the sun was obscured. But the light got "weird" as the moon covered more and more of the sun, and the temperature dropped. Maximum coverage was at 9:24AM and I was able to get this shot - thank goodness for perfectly clear skies - from my balcony through a specialized solar filter.​
mail
ZOOM SEEKERS LAST WEEK - There have been plenty of reports lately about a COVID resurgence, an updated vaccine, and topics like that. So it was quite fortuitous that our scheduled Zoom Seekers speaker for October was Dr. Charlotte Sadler from UC San Diego who has been studying COVID specifically in divers and what we should be looking out for post-infection when we think it's time to return to the water. In case you missed her timely and informative talk, we've got it archived on our FaceBook page as well as on our YouTube channel. You can access the YouTube one here:​

LOBSTER RESTRICTIONS LIFTED - You may recall that we told you about an area in SoCal, roughly the south side of Palos Verdes through much of the L.A. Harbor breakwater, where the opening of lobster season was being delayed due to suspicion of domoic acid issues. We're happy to report that those geographic restrictions have all been lifted and you can now take lobsters in any permitted area.

AVALON ON WEDNESDAY - We have this on our books (although we don't have anyone signed up as of yet). Three dives in the Underwater Park with tanks and airfills included, as well as round-trip ferry and taxi. We'll make a go/no-go decision by 6PM Monday so if you're interested in joining us - and we've seen reports from last week of nice visibility and many Giant Sea Bass - make sure you give us a call at 310/652-4990 or drop us an e-mail.

GULF STREAM SHIFTS - A new, and perhaps troubling, study from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute documents changes in the Gulf Stream that could be having profound impacts on things like hurricanes along the eastern seaboard and climate change overall. In short, the scientists at WHOI say the Gulf Stream has been warming and moving closer to land over the last two decades. You can read more about why this is important here: WHOI STUDY ON THE GULF STREAM.

INDONESIA BECKONS FOR NEXT YEAR - I'm in the process of finalizing plans for a return to Murex in Manado, Indonesia (Sulawesi) for next year. The dates look to be July 8-19 (includes travel dates) with 8 days of exploring all that Murex has to offer. As usual, we'll include a day trip to Bangka Island and a day trip to dive the mighty Lembeh Strait, home to some of the most unusual critters in the world. I'm still working on final pricing details but it looks like this will come in around $3,500 - which includes all diving, nitrox, meals, crew tip, airport transfers, double occupancy (single supplement likely available) - and the airfare on Singapore Airlines appears to be around $1,700 right now (non-stop LAX-SIN, short layover, then into Manado - Manado-Singapore on the return, short layover, non-stop SIN-LAX, arrive home same day we left Indo). I've got a number of you on an "interested" list and will be sending more details soon. And if you're not on the list, send me a note so I can add you.

NEW FISH SPECIES - This is always fun because, especially with this one, you wonder, "Could I have discovered that?" But there's a new species of Goby in town, this one discovered on the Great Barrier Reef around Lady Elliot Island - a popular diving spot - and only 45-75 feet deep. Learn more about it here: NEW GOBY SPECIES.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom