Twin-set manifold vs Sidemount vs Independent Twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi DD,

What are the prerequisites for getting an SM cert?

Is tec 40 good enough?

thanks,
markm
RAID allows SM on any course. I certified a student on OW on SM some months ago, he will be progressing to Tech for sure in the next while so started him off on 2 tanks.

He is now AOW. I believe he was the first person to be certified this way. I wouldn’t advocate it for everyone though.

PM me if you want any SM info like syllabi etc. I will post the pic of me with 4 tanks on when I get home to my laptop.

I have this video of weighting and trim exercise in the pool with 3 AL80 and a 40

Dropbox - GOPR0341.MP4

Hi tursiops,

I tried searching for descriptions for PADI rec SM, and Tec SM. I did not find much. I have a tec 40 cert already.

I am guessing the rec SM is a cut-and-dry course while the tec SM is more comprehensive.

I am interested in something that is bare-bones that gives a me a cert that clears the liability hurdle for a recreational dive boat operator in a vacation setting.

Do you have access to, or a link to a syllabus for the rec SM cert?

Thanks,
markm
What did you want to know that is not here?
Sidemount Diver | PADI

What did you want to know that is not here?
Sidemount Diver | PADI

Hi tursiops,

Somehow I missed it when I originally searched. Thanks.

Yeah, I am not doing tec 40 over again. Nor am I doing tec 50.

The rec SM is the right cert even though 4 dives is excessive for someone already trained for light deco and pony/stage bottle use. Oh well, bend over and grab the ankles, that's what they require!

markm

RAID allows SM on any course. I certified a student on OW on SM some months ago, he will be progressing to Tech for sure in the next while so started him off on 2 tanks.

He is now AOW. I believe he was the first person to be certified this way. I wouldn’t advocate it for everyone though.

PM me if you want any SM info like syllabi etc. I will post the pic of me with 4 tanks on when I get home to my laptop.

I have this video of weighting and trim exercise in the pool with 3 AL80 and a 40

Dropbox - GOPR0341.MP4

Thanks RainPilot,

I will PM you.

markm

Hi tursiops,

Somehow I missed it when I originally searched. Thanks.

Yeah, I am not doing tec 40 over again. Nor am I doing tec 50.

The rec SM is the right cert even though 4 dives is excessive for someone already trained for light deco and pony/stage bottle use. Oh well, bend over and grab the ankles, that's what they require!

markm
AFAIK the Tec Sidemount course does not involve redoing any of your previous Tec courses. If you are already Tech certified then I would seriously consider just doing it, then you have some options further on.

AFAIK the Tec Sidemount course does not involve redoing any of your previous Tec courses. If you are already Tech certified then I would seriously consider just doing it, then you have some options further on.

Thanks for that RainPilot,

Do I still have to do 4 dives with tec SM verses 3 for rec SM?

markm

4 dives is excessive for someone already trained for light deco and pony/stage bottle use
Please report back after your class if you still think this.
I think you'll find the confined water dive is not easy, and that you will both feel very awkward and learn a lot. Dive One will be similar, but in open water. Dive Two will be more practice, and Dive Three should begin to feel pretty good. Have fun!

Thanks for that RainPilot,

Do I still have to do 4 dives with tec SM verses 3 for rec SM?

markm

SDI sidemount is 2 open water dives plus it seems confined water,
TDI sidemount is 3 open water and it seems like no confined water, it that confined ratio is N/A.
Not that we normally... go for the shortest cert :).
https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/SDI/part 3/pdf/individual/SDI Specialty Standards_22_Sidemount_Diver.pdf
https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/TDI/part 2/pdf/individual/TDI Diver Standards_05_Sidemount.pdf

And sidemount is a bit of gear config, easier in a pool than in cold OW.

You'll be glad of each dive. While there are only a couple of new skills you haven't done, Side mount for all it's simplicity can be a right faff to get fine tuned. A good instructor will be looking and making small adjustments to get the tank trim just right.

If you're paying for the course, my feeling is to take the opportunity of gleaning as much information and all the tips and tricks you can

Back
Top Bottom