Twin Tanks - Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarjG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi - I tried twin tanks this weekend to dismal failure. I have 300 plus dives in the Caribbean and I am a master diver so not professional but not a newb. I tried twin tanks (for the first time) with a dry suit (for the first time) in a cold lake - thus the need for the dry suit. Of course new wing and harness for the twins. Really the only things not different were my computer, mask and towel. I flamed out not just a little but quite epicly. I couldn't get down even though it was a heavy rig, even when my instructor tried to push me down I floated like a cork. I somersaulted and rolled (always to the right) like a hot dog on a rotisserie. It didn't take long fighting those tanks for me to be exhausted. I always ended up face up at the surface. I did manage to get one descent but it was completely out of control, which I have never experienced. Thankfully I was in shallow water and stopped on the bottom before my eardrums burst. I did feel the tanks shifting but couldn't get enough weight off to get them good and tight. I have seen other folks that struggled with learning the twins. My instructor felt with my experience I could handle all the changes at once. Now we are going back to the pool to at least take out the dry suit. To add insult to injury, I fell trying to climb a rocky hill wearing these tanks. It was a great weekend - can't wait to get back at it. Anyway, those of you that have struggled with twins, do you have any tips? Thanks for your advice.

Overdid the task loading.
If this was an instructional setting, it sounds like some questionable choices by the instructor. Was this part of a course, and if so what course and agency?
For instance, PADI drysuit starts in a pool, not in open water.

That sounds a bit familiar.
Although for me it was the dry suit that gave the biggest challenge.
We (my wife and I) made 1 dive in our dry suit with our familiar single tank, jacket style and feet slightly down during the dive setup. The first time trying to descent we kept on adding more and more weights. It was ridicoulous.
Then we switched to double tanks, wing, backplate and horizontal profile diving in our 1st class for Tec diving. My instructor too said he would teach us this skill. In the end he did.

At first I had difficulty to descent too. Then difficulty to go up in controlled manner and yes rolling here and there happen too although not that often. I felt like learning do dive all over again.

The issue for me with the dry suit was especially in the beginning I didn't take enough time to deflate it. We are taught to control boyancy with our wings.
Before going into the water I didn't push enough air out of the suit. When I could make the descent the dive itself went pretty ok and I didn't roll. I was more at ease. It took me more weights than I wanted too. I was too fixed on that.
Then the ascent was the next issue to tackle for me. Getting the suit to deflate enough at the right time is a skill I still need to pay attention to. Take your time here. Get out of profile a bit to let the air out of your legs travel up to the inflator.

Don't loose faith, you can do it!

Yep, way too much new stuff happening at the same time. As others have said, I'd be inclined to start in the pool with just the drysuit and single, then slowly transition to OW (still with a single) and get at least 10 simple dives under your belt before adding any further complications like heavy twins.

And just for the record; somersault + drysuit + twins = tears. Twisting and turning may work with a single rec warm water set up, but not this. Get used to manoeuvring and turning with the cylinder nicely balanced on your back, which will make life a lot easier when you move to twin cylinders.

With regards to weight, although steel twins are undoubtedly negative, your drysuit will add a surprising amount of positive buoyancy. That, combined with your anxiety and over breathing, would only compound things further. A proper weight check during each 'training' phase should get you gradually dialed in.

Again, one thing at a time and it'll all come together.

Yeah, way too many things at once.

Not sure if it helps that much, as they are very easy, but you could dive tiny doubles AL40, LP50, AL72, ST72 while you get the drysuit bit squared away. The aluminums float, so you do not have the back heavy bit, nor the chance to get used to it. But somewhere on that size range would let you play a bit with the valves while getting the drysuit bit under control, without any extra body control issues from the doubles. The 40s in particular are near identical to a single 80 in buoyancy. Plus they give you redundancy in a tiny package.

Should toss in a camera rig, scooter, rebreather and a full face mask all at once as well. OK, not really.

As they have stated, too much new stuff all at once. You have so much going on you can't tell where the problem is. You are experienced enough to know there is a problem but can't tell what it is. Forget the twins for the moment and work on the drysuit basics.

Really should have no more than one new piece of gear at once.

if you’re not used to the drysuit, then that is probably a big part of your issues.

I had more than a year of drysuit diving before I started on doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom