Twin Tanks - Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your instructor task loaded you far too much. The main bulk of your experience has been in warm salt water not in cold water lakes. You had very little or no experience using a dry suit which takes time to learn proper buoyancy control and how to properly vent air. And you were wearing doubles for the first time, which require practice and usually adjustments after the first few dives.

The way you should have been taught and how your instructor should have started you out was learning buoyancy control with the dry suit in a pool. Then put you in doubles and the harness in the pool until you again learned how to control your buoyancy with that set up. Then taken you into the lake to test it out. Incremental learning is the hallmark of professional diving not throwing you in the deep end with all the gear on at once.

Overall don't be too hard on yourself, I don't know many if any professionals who would have done any better under those circumstances.

Hi - I tried twin tanks this weekend .... I flamed out not just a little but quite epicly. I couldn't get down even though it was a heavy rig, even when my instructor tried to push me down I floated like a cork. I...

I think that might be the problem right there .... I've never taught diving, but I'm pretty sure that's not a part of the procedure.

If you are taking PADI Tec40, here is what the instructors manual has to say about it.

D1E24651-C5CD-4DDC-A3A1-6DCC2485EF12.jpeg

I had over 400 drysuit dives when I took TEC40. Because it is one more factor to deal with, I decided to do it in a wetsuit. Controlling your ascent and doing deco stops can become more demanding in a drysuit then a wetsuit. You also have to be able to easily reach your valves for the various drills. If you can’t do the inverted drill in doubles, you might not want to do the course in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom