Twisty backup lamps and corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have three Dive Rite BX-1 lights (twist on w 18650) .. that get double duty as back-ups and primaries for OW and cavern dives where I where burn time is less than 45m. They are outstanding lights and easily rival my larger primary lights for brightness and beam penetration.

Twist-on work well for back-ups with no button as a failure point or could be bumped on while in a pocket or just casual contact. You just have to make sure they are turned off enough so that the pressure from depth does not close the circuit and drain your battery. Also, two handed operation could be an issue.

Push-button has its place. For a wrist mount light, having a one-handed activation is an advantage. If you were running a reel and your primary went out, it would really suck trying to get a twisty out and on while not turning your reel into a birds nest.

I have had two back-up lights flood on me. One of the cheap yellow jobs, and one of the ebay XML 3xLED lights. I suspect both resulted from O-rings that were dry/dirty.

DRIS shorty for backup lights. They're true backups, so they run off alkaline batteries you can get pretty much anywhere in the world, even in the most austere of places, with no need for accessory chargers, adapters, etc. They're also twist so they only turn on during pre-dive check and if needed during the dive. No worries about an inadvertent activation draining the batteries.

If I were using it as an occasional open water primary, etc, it would be an 18650 battery and button/magnet type of switch.

Different lights for different situations. Ostensibly my OW primary is a Light Monkey 3W canister-less, and my backups now tend to remain backups once again.

DRIS shorty for backup lights. They're true backups, so they run off alkaline batteries you can get pretty much anywhere in the world, even in the most austere of places, with no need for accessory chargers, adapters, etc. They're also twist so they only turn on during pre-dive check and if needed during the dive. No worries about an inadvertent activation draining the batteries.

If I were using it as an occasional open water primary, etc, it would be an 18650 battery and button/magnet type of switch.

Different lights for different situations. Ostensibly my OW primary is a Light Monkey 3W canister-less, and my backups now tend to remain backups once again.
Don't forget a light that uses disposable batteries can just as easily use rechargeable batteries. It's why I prefer lights with replaceable batteries - you get options.

Twist-on work well for back-ups with no button as a failure point or could be bumped on while in a pocket or just casual contact.

Just for the record, the Xtar D26 lights that I am using (and really like) are push button on/off, but the button has a twist-to-lock feature. A quarter turn counter clockwise and the button is locked, so it can't be pushed to turn it on accidentally. There is a little detent to the twist, so it stays locked or unlocked.

It's a smallish button, but I have not had much difficulty twisting it to unlock the on/off button even when in the local quarry (which means low viz, cold water, and me wearing dry gloves with medium thick glove liners on).

Just for the record, the Xtar D26 lights that I am using (and really like) are push button on/off, but the button has a twist-to-lock feature. A quarter turn counter clockwise and the button is locked, so it can't be pushed to turn it on accidentally. There is a little detent to the twist, so it stays locked or unlocked.

It's a smallish button, but I have not had much difficulty twisting it to unlock the on/off button even when in the local quarry (which means low viz, cold water, and me wearing dry gloves with medium thick glove liners on).

Thanks for the info on the Xstar D26. I really like the Xstar Dragon charger I got recently. Might check out this light.

Back
Top Bottom