Two divers critical - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, those 2 links. Armchair quarterbacking it, but bringing a new large camera rig on a CCR training trimix dive, seems a bit unusual to me.

Wow, those 2 links. Armchair quarterbacking it, but bringing a new large camera rig on a CCR training trimix dive, seems a bit unusual to me.

The unusual part is that the instructor deemed it fit to allow him to do that!!! IMO unusual is an understatement. The only time a student should be allowed to bring a camera (or any non essential piece of equipment for the course at hand) is if the course was specifically to train him how to, say in this instance, use a housed camera underwater, i.e. a photographic course.

It 's been along time since I taught trimix or ccr courses for IANTD (or any course for that matter) but I certainly would not have allowed it, although I don't recall if the the/their standards strictly forbid it i.e. a student carrying a non essential accesory. I would assume it would (should!) be just common sense anyway. But you know what they say about assuming (or more specifically to 'assume'). It just makes an ass out of u and me.

Last edited:
I am guessing we will find out the o2 was shut off, but all the talk of checking the controllers -- wouldn't the HUD usually notify the operator with at least red indicators? The controller knows the depth.

I am guessing we will find out the o2 was shut off, but all the talk of checking the controllers -- wouldn't the HUD usually notify the operator with at least red indicators? The controller knows the depth.

The rebreather he was on actually shakes both handsets when the ppo2 starts to dip. It's obnoxious and can't be ignored. I'm wondering if handsets were also off.

I thought most of them would turn on if "wet" (depth sensor / wet contact.) But perhaps that would be too late.

Mine is turned on as I leave the bench. I'm breathing it down the steps, listening to it fire. I've NEVER trusted the wet activation. Your loop should sustain life before you even put the DSV in your mouth.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The posts made in this thread that discussed the more general topic of Instructor practices during training (e.g. shutting off O2) have been moved to a separate thread (Is it OK to turn off O2 in Rebreather Training?).

His widow related the story in a lengthy post on FB. This link should go to it with no need for FB membership: Ashley Porsche Bugge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom