• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Two divers dead on Aliwal Shoal, South Africa

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by GramsciBeat, Jun 18, 2014.

1. GramsciBeat

GramsciBeat Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  2. Garth

Garth Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Did they know where the camera was or were they searching for it at 55Meters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Camera was dropped from a survey vessel. I doubt that they knew "exactly" where it was. What difference does it make? It was a tech dive to 200 feet by two tech divers. That's all the detail that has been released so far.

4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

I saw the names mentioned by a local on Facebook, but I guess they haven't been published yet - so can't post those here. The rumor was of "surfaced unexpectedly."

5. GramsciBeat

GramsciBeat Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    There were rumours going around South African diving circles yesterday about the identity of one of the divers and it has subsequently been reported that it's Peter Timm - a fairly prominent local diver, most famous for discovering the coelacanths at Jessops Canyon at Sodwana. AFAIK it's the only place where its possible to dive with these fish, though even at Jessops they are only found at depths of 100m and more.
    Drowned diver has been identified | South Coast Herald

6. ShoalDiverSA

ShoalDiverSA Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    More details have been posted of the tragedy, and both divers have been identified. As previously mentioned, it was Peter Timm, as well as Adele Stegen, both technical divers.

Two die in diving tragedy - KwaZulu-Natal | IOL News | IOL.co.za

7. Sp00nman

Sp00nman Instructor, Scuba

Very sad indeed! Timm was very highly regarded as one of the most experienced tech divers in SA. RIP

8. alewar

alewar Solo Diver

9. Dive Bug Bit Me

Dive Bug Bit Me Solo Diver

Tragic. Timm was a big part of the diving community down here. Well respected.

I don't know what went wrong other than the article says it happened on the ascent.

I looked into into a coelacanth dive earlier this year. Eventually, a combination of lack of my skills and discomfort with the dive plan meant this dive is not for me.

I have heard that Timm's "procedures" for ascent on the coelacanth dives could include firing the SMB from depth. You can attach a shorter deployment line and ride the SMB from say 360 ft to your first stop at maybe 200 ft. It's all the safer if you clip your SMB to yourself, then it can't slip out of your hands while you ascend to your first stop. I've also heard stories (urban legends?) of divers pushing their gas limits, breathing down back gas and maybe the stages to almost nothing as part of the plan / dives. I've heard that gas planning was on standard mixes with tables and tried and tested deco stops potentially limiting flexibility. Whether any of this was in play on the fatal dive I have no idea. It certainly was not a coelacanth dive (though another, probably inaccurate, local article mentioned a depth of 330 ft on the fatal dive).

I've also heard that Timm was meticulous in planning. Experienced and chose his buddies with care. Either way, Timm was mentioned with respect at what he had achieved. He knew how to dive and had developed procedures that worked on coelacanth dives.

Laurie S. likes this.
  10. Garth

Garth Manta Ray

I know you mentioned the SMB in the precious post but it would be nice to know how the accent was accomplished and whether an SMB was used at all. I couldn't find anything in any of the articles that even mention the use of an SMB.

It makes you wonder if people even attempt to make a report about these kind of things as the information never actually gets out to the divers reading these incidents trying to make out some sort of information to prevent reoccurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk