Two divers die at Wazee Lake, WI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A very serious question I must ask....

What is the proper procedure for what I guess I would call "under water CPR" while you make your safety stops. I assume that you would want to give the person rescue breaths somehow? Is there concern an unconscious person wouldn't release air from their lungs as they go up? I never dive that deep but I imagine it would be a 5+ minute surfacing routine and that *something* should be done bringing someone to the surface.

Thanks for the tips. All the best to the surviving diver and families.

The is no underwater CPR, or let's say it's proven noneffective! Monitoring your saftystop, and trying cpr underwater ( you only get yourself into trouble)

If you don't go over your limits you can accent with the victim together, not faster than 1 foot per sec, in this case you are able to skip the safety stop in order to help
the victim, rescue breathing on the surface!

If you go over 130 feet and you get in trouble, only god can help you!
i do my safety stop, regardless of your condition i send you up!
those guy's went to 200', that means there is a deco stop requiered.
They were dead, the moment they desided to run to the surface!

Do the rescue class, best ever i did!

RIP

... but I don't think a 200 ft bounce requires a rapid ascent...
That's true. We shot for 60fpm, the standard of the day. Many would call that "rapid" these days, but it was "standard" only a few years ago.
Rick

Someone mentioned in the chat room once something that made a lot of sense. Diving is one of the activities where you can kill yourself and then have 30 minutes to think about it before you die.

The is no underwater CPR, or let's say it's proven noneffective! Monitoring your saftystop, and trying cpr underwater ( you only get yourself into trouble)

If you don't go over your limits you can accent with the victim together, not faster than 1 foot per sec, in this case you are able to skip the safety stop in order to help
the victim, rescue breathing on the surface!

If you go over 130 feet and you get in trouble, only god can help you!
i do my safety stop, regardless of your condition i send you up!
those guy's went to 200', that means there is a deco stop requiered.
They were dead, the moment they desided to run to the surface!

Do the rescue class, best ever i did!

RIP

Safety stop is not the same as a Decompression stop for sure I would forget about my safety stop if my buddy was unconscious and head to the surface with him. As for decompression stop depends how long they were into the dive, chances are you would survive with a trip to the chamber if you missed out on 20 minutes of deco, but once close to the one hour deco obligation the outlook would be a lot worse in this case I would probably send my unconscious buddy to the surface on his own, I think in this situation I would have followed the rule of not creating 2 casualties/fatalities.

Figure it out for yourself:

A bounce dive to 200 feet:
Descent at 60 fpm
1 minute on bottom
Ascent at 60 fpm to 100 feet
1 minute at 100 feet
Ascent at 30 fpm to 15 feet
3 min at 10 feet
Ascent at 30 fpm to the surface.

With a SAC rate of even 1.0 that's only about 40 cubic feet.

As far as procedures for rescue. Bring the victim to the surface at a normal rate of ascent, turn over to someone there. Dive back to 10 feet and remain there for 4min, 30 seconds (1.5 times the omitted, required 3 minutes).

LeadTurn_SD, Doc Harry and ScubaSteve,

Thank you so much for your insight. It certainly was an eye opener. I was shocked to find out about rescue procedures or lets call it the code. I've read a little, too. As soon as I am done with advanced and I gain a little more experience I want to learn rescue diving.

I read the first 62 posts and have questions before I go and read the final 20.
I have not yet had rescue training, but have done my EFR in preparation for Rescue.
My understanding is that rescue breaths underwater aren't going to do you a darned bit of good if you can't do chest compressions, because you can put air in the lungs but if there is no blood circulation, that oxygen can't get to where it needs to go.
Secondly, aren't those Navy tables based on tests on 18-20 something year old young men, and that for us older folks, maybe we should consider being a bit more conservative than the Navy tables? I'm not saying that I am more conservative than the Navy tables, but maybe I should be?
Also, in my more advanced training (past AOW) we were taught to do bubble checks at the surface, why would you wait to descend to check for leaks?

Also, in my more advanced training (past AOW) we were taught to do bubble checks at the surface, why would you wait to descend to check for leaks?

If surface conditions are very rough, it might be easier to do the S-drill and bubble checks at 20' and then continue the descent.

Thank you, Ron, guess I've been successfully avoiding rough surface conditions

Rescue breaths underwater would be difficult to provide and probably not very effective. I personally question the efficacy of rescue breaths at the surface, but it is probably reasonable to attempt a couple, to stimulate the airway and see if you can get spontaneous breathing back.

I just finished my ACLS recertification, and they presented data from a number of studies which pretty clearly show that ventilation takes a significant back seat to effective CPR, in terms of rates of success in resuscitation. Delaying the victim's arrival at a place where CPR can be provided, in order to attempt what will very probably be poor ventilations, is in my opinion (and this is NOT what is taught, this is MY opinion) not the correct strategy.

Back
Top Bottom