Two fatalities in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please note the special rules applicable to this forum. Self-moderation is expected from this point onwards please.

I saw the offending posts and that bought me back to this thread again. I really wish this were more true:

Please note the special rules applicable to this forum. Self-moderation is expected from this point onwards please.

The one piece of information I have been able to gleam from this incident is that the buddy system failed, and two are dead from being out of air.

The buddy system is not just staying together, it is also acting as a team. Checking your partner and communicating with her. It should not be a surprise that your buddy is low on air, because you were checking her air and she yours. New divers have this drummed into them and they were still new enough that sloppiness should not have already creeped into their procedure.

Sometimes teenagers do stupid things and maybe that was the case. Or maybe by a weird fate they both became seriously narked and never knew they were low or air or their buddy was in danger. Or one narked and the other just not being attentive.

What I do know is arguing over it, is not going to bring them back or help anyone else deal with it, or stay alive themselves.

I would much rather see a positive thread on possible causes and solutions to help keep others safe. Even if a scenario someone brings up is not a likely cause in your mind, instead of arguing that it is not, why not make a positive spin on it and discuss procedures to make that scenario come out with a positive ending.

I did over 6 hours underwater today, 31 pounds of fish, I will spend the next 45 day's or so and have over 250 hours underwater.

To dive, is like what you are doing, steve and keegan never got much of a chance, yes they did not accomplish great success in there diving, and they should have never been let loose on there dive to new waters, but it happen and it is with great regret that the outcome is reality.

At this point of this thread anyone can dream up what they want and say what they want for just the say of It, Oh my gosh how did that happen?

Jerry Effenberger is a very old man now, He dove for years and became an Instructor in his 60's when he said he would not certify his grandchild, I was like wow, he said the kids nowadays are not mature enough, they do not live like it use to be, this was eleven years ago.

Anyone teaching children scuba, be aware, and give them full attention, thats all that matters.

I take people scuba diving for the first time the same way someone took me, very little info, shove the reg in there mouth and tell them to keep sucking and blowing through this, when the dive is done I tell them go get certified. Diving Is easy, the water is what is dangerous, Hence DIVING IS DANGEROUS.

Happy Diving

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ok, I have asked nicely. It seems certain members are incapable of self-moderation.

This thread is temporily closed, pending moderator review.

Apologies to those who just wanted to participate positively in this thread and were content to follow the forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom