two free gift regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was just given two SP MK10's one with a G250 and a old chrome faced octo, the other with two classic SP 2nds. Both have gauges, one an old Suunto bottom timer and depth gauge. The 250 and the two MK10 1sts look great. The gauges, octo's, and classic 2nd are a little worse for wear. The are all circa '90 or so and haven't been used in several years. Should I go through the effort of having the octo's and classic 2nd serviced, or just service the 1sts and the G250? Also do gauges need any regular servicing? Thanks in advance.

congratulations. you have been given a couple of good regulators.

Regulators are life support systems. You most certainly need to take them both, having been stored (or otherwise unknown maintenance schedule) for over 10 years, into a shop and have them both checked out and rebuilt as necessary. Primarily this involves replacing o-rings, but other parts, high pressure seats, etc. may also need to be replaced. Much depends on when they were last serviced, which I assume to be an unknown. If you're qualified to do the work yourself, great. If not, have the work done by a qualified technician. Even the highest quality regulators can fail if not adequately serviced. If they fail suddenly at depth, they can ruin your whole day.

The guages are less likely to require service, assuming the regulators were properly stored. It would likely cost little, however, to have them reviewed while the service tech was already doing the regs themselves.

Enjoy your 'new' equipment.

Doc

GAVE them to you?? Don't listen to Doc! This could be VERY dangerous!!!!! Box up those regs and send them to me at once and I will make sure that they are properly used - ah, I mean, disposed of.
You don't have to thank me. It's the least I can do...

HAHAHA. Yeah, I guy I know just came up to me on Sunday and said, "here, I haven't used these in about 10 years. Maybe you could find some use for them." I was like (real nonchalant) hey yeah. Thanks. I might be able to use them. You just don't get gifts like that very often for no reason. So should I keep the older metal balanced adjustables or just replace the 2nd's with like a 190 or something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom